Illegal Bat Issue Observed at a Tourney

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Yes those are still altered states through use. Not intentional just wear and tear. Altered from original state.

Not really the same. A batter using an altered or non-approved bat is out and ejected. One using an illegal bat is simply ruled out

Jan 27, 2019
Seems a little harsh to eject player & coach. I know it’s the rule but I would just call batter out and confiscate the bat until game is over. Problem solved.
This issue could have been avoided if Easton wasn’t so greedy and just made one bat that was good for all associations.

I have no authority to confiscate anyone else's possessions. They paid for the bat not me. I can only do what the rules stipulate and that's to eject the coach and player.

Jun 22, 2008
PGF will take your bat until the tourney is over or your team is bounced. I’ve seen it.
That is the tournament that does that, not the official. USA does the same thing at nationals, there is a pre tournament bat inspection where all bats must be submitted to be compression tested and inspected for any other defects. If they pass the bat is issued a sticker to put on it indicating it has passed. Any bat that does not pass the inspection is taken and held until the team is eliminated or the tournament is over.

May 29, 2015
You hit the nail on the head in the vast majority of cases, Gabby ... most of the bats were never going to be used in the game. They were what I call shoe hangers .... practice bats and those extra bats you keep to hang your cleats on with your backpack.

When I work that facility, they require we check anything that is staying in the dug out. We tell the teams that they can set it outside (inaccessible) if they aren’t going to use it. Rather than do that, they set them out to be checked anyway. I don’t get that part.

Once we find it, we have to take it (at that facility).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying