If the leap is allowed.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Off-topic but I remember when I was in high school recuperating from knee surgery, I saw a picture of my mom from when she was my age. She had a full set of braces, headgear, glasses, and played the oboe in the school band. I think she was disappointed I never joined up with the school band. I guess I'd either be risking a finger, lip, or chin injury. :ROFLMAO:
This one time, at band camp......

Feb 25, 2018
Warm-up, cool down, preventative maintenance is often neglected by a lot of athletes.

As far as wear and tear in my DD’s athletic situation, she gets way more in softball than in volleyball. In softball she’s one of the starting pitchers and when she isn’t pitching she’s playing in the field. In volleyball, as a DS she rotates with other DS and maybe serves 8 to 10 times a match, really depends on the number of sets.

All sports have wear and tear and injury risk, but I’m in the camp that thinks delaying athletic specialty as long as possible is a plus. And when you do decide to specialize in one sport, rest periods (complete rest) should be built into the macro cycle. Social media is littered with high school players posting video from their fall ball showcases and now posting video of their training sessions with the obligatory “the grind never stops” tag line.

”The greedier an athlete becomes, the sooner they are spent.”
— Peter F. Coe

Oct 14, 2019
I always wonder when I see all those Bama pitchers in the dugout cheering for Fouts what they’re really thinking.

Feb 25, 2018
I always wonder when I see all those Bama pitchers in the dugout cheering for Fouts what they’re really thinking.
Well, at least in her first year of college, Coach Murphy did limit her innings and publicly stated that was on purpose.

I think a pitch count could make the WCWS more interesting and maybe allow some more non-power 5 schools to be competitive there. I know I’d like it as a spectator.

Oct 14, 2019
I’m sure the other Bama pitchers get innings during the regular season, but Fouts seems to get almost all of the innings in the SEC tournament and WCWS. I remember Barnhill at Florida getting even more innings than Fouts once Ocasio graduated. I agree it might be more exciting if more pitchers got innings.

Jun 8, 2016
Coaches don’t keep their jobs/get raises by playing exciting games. One could argue Murphy would have been better served not resting her in last year’s WCWS..

Feb 25, 2018
Coaches don’t keep their jobs/get raises by playing exciting games. One could argue Murphy would have been better served not resting her in last year’s WCWS..
True, but I think without more JMUs making a deep run the WCWS it becomes less must watch tv. It’s currently great if you’re a fan of a power 5 school.

Oct 14, 2019
I did argue that.

With few professional prospects, saving the arm not much of an issue either.

Oct 14, 2019
Don’t think it would help the JMU’s of the world. Bama has 5 pitchers comparable to Odicci Alexander.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish