If the leap is allowed.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Long-term player health, long-term player development, developing more pitchers.

Something similar to baseball pitching protocol, volume pitched dictates how much (or little) you can pitch the next day, required rest days, etc.

I know pitch counts in softball isn't a popular take, but I think it's due.
So what’s the pitch number that you think should be enforced? 100 a day, 200? 300? How much time off between pitching events?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmmm
So if throwing underhand was going to be limited by pitch counts. Maybe that means teams shouldn't let pitchers play other positions that throw overhand. That would accumulate many extra throws.

Quite possibly they don't count all the overhand throws in baseball only the ones on the mound.

How do they know overhand pitching injuries only come from pitching? Just saying thinking it through a bit...

The throwing arm injuries that I know about come from Bad throwing mechanics. Overhand or underhand.

Reflecting back I caught game after game after game lots and lots of overhand throws and never had a throwing arm injury.
I do use good throwing mechanics that may be part of it😎

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
So what’s the pitch number that you think should be enforced? 100 a day, 200? 300? How much time off between pitching events?
Think the protocols would need to be age-graded as a starter. 18u player, in general, can/could handle more volume than a 14u player. A 14u pitcher should not be throwing more than 100-125 in game pitches in a day, but they routinely do.

Best coaches out there, in my opinion, already manage their pitchers like there is a pitch count protocol. Those are few, though.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Think the protocols would need to be age-graded as a starter. 18u player, in general, can/could handle more volume than a 14u player. A 14u pitcher should not be throwing more than 100-125 in game pitches in a day, but they routinely do.

Best coaches out there, in my opinion, already manage their pitchers like there is a pitch count protocol. Those are few, though.
Can you share reasonings why an 18u player can handle more load than a 14U player?

I'd imagine if they put Pitch limiting protocol into college things like the College World Series would just get dispersed over weeks instead of days because they would just play games when they're allowed to throw their favorite pitchers. Maybe perhaps that will limit the amount of pitches in one day, by limiting how many games back to back, but it will not eliminate the amount of pitches overall.
Human tendency is the reasoning to this.

Feb 25, 2018
Can you share reasonings why an 18u player can handle more load than a 14U player?

I'd imagine if they put Pitch limiting protocol into college things like the College World Series would just get dispersed over weeks instead of days because they would just play games to when they're allowed to throw their favorite pitchers. Maybe perhaps that will limit the amount of pitches in one day but it will not eliminate the amount of pitches overall.
Human tendency is the reasoning to this.

In general, big caveat, an 18 year old has physically matured more than a 14 year old, has an older training age than a 14 year old and has accumulated more of a pitching strength base than a 14 year old.
Should the 14 year old that won the puberty lottery be held to the 14 year old pitch count rather than be granted a waiver to use the 18 year old protoco? Yes. Too many pitchers being over-pitched IMHO.

I’m a realist, a pitch count is unlikely to happen in softball, pretty much just fun internet discussions.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Also a realist. Good discussion btw.

I have never seen baseball tournaments that are set up like softball travel tournaments. Lots more teams in travel ball. Not saying that makes a difference on if they want to have new rules but it will make a difference on how many players people have on teams big time.

If the goal is to save the pitchers arm( body injury) then maybe they should stop playing pitchers at other positions.
increasing risk to injury and exposure to weather conditions.

Feb 25, 2018
Also a realist. Good discussion btw.

I have never seen baseball tournaments that are set up like softball travel tournaments. Lots more teams in travel ball. Not saying that makes a difference on if they want to have new rules but it will make a difference on how many players people have on teams big time.

If the goal is to save the pitchers arm( body injury) then maybe they should stop playing pitchers at other positions.
increasing risk to injury and exposure to weather conditions.
I would agree, wear and tear accumulates via overhand throws, too.

Personally, I loathe softball tournament formats, whether it’s a showcase or the weekend tournament with the $20 trophy up for grabs. Just don’t think 7-8 (or more) weekends of multiple games each day is the way for athletes to learn the game, develop their skills or compete.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I would agree, wear and tear accumulates via overhand throws, too.

Personally, I loathe softball tournament formats, whether it’s a showcase or the weekend tournament with the $20 trophy up for grabs. Just don’t think 7-8 (or more) weekends of multiple games each day is the way for athletes to learn the game, develop their skills or compete.
Wonder what would happen if travel ball just shut down for a month maybe two times yearly? No games.
🤔
All sanctions would have to agree...🥴😏🥳