If the leap is allowed.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Thankfully, my daughter plays volleyball in the fall, so that’s no softball time.
Empty the bucket to fill it back up. My pet theory about some pitchers plateauing is that they don’t take enough time away from pitching.
Especially the pitchers caught up in the social media vortex of posting video after video of a pitching or hitting session.

The college coaches that keep an eye out for the kids that don’t max out in high school could find some diamonds with bigger upsides than the players that pitched too much in high school.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thankfully, my daughter plays volleyball in the fall, so that’s no softball time.
Empty the bucket to fill it back up. My pet theory about some pitchers plateauing is that they don’t take enough time away from pitching.
Especially the pitchers caught up in the social media vortex of posting video after video of a pitching or hitting session.

The college coaches that keep an eye out for the kids that don’t max out in high school could find some diamonds with bigger upsides than the players that pitched too much in high school.
Serving and spiking seems like some wear and tear on the old arm. & Bigger heavier ball.

Jan 6, 2018
Serving and spiking seems like some wear and tear on the old arm. & Bigger heavier ball.
Yep - my many of DD teammates and friends have missed significant time from softball with injuries from basketball (back/knee), volleyball (shoulder/knee), track (foot), tennis (elbow), gymnastics (back/leg), and cheer (calf).

Thankfully my DD spends her off time in band and theatre - LOL. Though she did get a sore hip in marching band, so you can get hurt doing anything I guess.

May 27, 2013
I have never been to a TB baseball tournament at any age group where they play more than two games in a day. I think the most I’ve seen was 3 games but only on bracket day. Usually baseball tournaments will only take the top 1-2 teams from each pool after pool play. Some might take a few more. I’ve never seen all the baseball teams in a tournament make it to bracket play. Typically coaches will need to submit pitch counts or # of innings pitched by each pitcher after each game. Some tourneys go by PC, some go by innings. Usually in the older age groups they’ll go by innings. All depends on the tourney.

Feb 8, 2009
DS, so no spiking. Weight of indoor volleyball is approx. 9 ounces, so not really much over a softball.
I don’t believe the weight of the volleyball is the issue. I think it’s the repetitive motion. I’ve had some girls require surgery, as a result.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yep - my many of DD teammates and friends have missed significant time from softball with injuries from basketball (back/knee), volleyball (shoulder/knee), track (foot), tennis (elbow), gymnastics (back/leg), and cheer (calf).

Thankfully my DD spends her off time in band and theatre - LOL. Though she did get a sore hip in marching band, so you can get hurt doing anything I guess.
My parents tried to get me to play the clarinet.
Simply because my brother had the clarinet so it was a hand-me-down.
Thank goodness I didn't take to that could have produced some lip injury LOL

radness

Dec 13, 2019
DS, so no spiking. Weight of indoor volleyball is approx. 9 ounces, so not really much over a softball.
I don’t believe the weight of the volleyball is the issue. I think it’s the repetitive motion. I’ve had some girls require surgery, as a result.
Well when speaking in ounces and something is 2.5 oz is heavier than anything that's under 10 oz is considerable percentage. The ball being bigger if you don't hit it correctly in the spot you need to could be an off hit. Which could get redistributed to the arm shoulder.
Plus on a serve the ball is falling down (possibly slightly forward) and we are having to create all that Force by the impact of it with our body/arm extended.
I do think that can be a cause and effect.
(Although I'm guessing...
😁 But I'm trying to use my brain power to guess does that help LOL)

Repetitive injury is a known thing. And bad mechanics makes that worse. Possibly in anything we do. Even standing or sitting sloppy posture.

Also I think that we hear about injuries but we don't always get to hear about how the person took care of their body prior to the injury.

Aug 21, 2008
Baseball has the same number of scholarships as softball. So there will be less money per athlete on average. I think there is a 5% minimum on baseball scholarships so that would probably have to apply here as well. But I doubt softball is going to go where baseball is for pitch counts. Even if there is a day where there are pitch counts. It won’t be at the number of baseball.
I'm fascinated by this. Baseball actually has less than softball. D1 softball has a max of 12. Baseball gets 11.7. That's incredible when you factor in baseball has twice as many players on a team. Is that because of Title IX somehow?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
My parents tried to get me to play the clarinet.
Simply because my brother had the clarinet so it was a hand-me-down.
Thank goodness I didn't take to that could have produced some lip injury LOL
Off-topic but I remember when I was in high school recuperating from knee surgery, I saw a picture of my mom from when she was my age. She had a full set of braces, headgear, glasses, and played the oboe in the school band. I think she was disappointed I never joined up with the school band. I guess I'd either be risking a finger, lip, or chin injury. :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi