IESA Cancels Fall Sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Illinois Elementary Sports Association (IESA — our middle school governing body) has officially pulled the plug on fall sports with no intent to reschedule.

www.iesa.org
We know that there will be many people within the school system who will applaud this decision and there will be many who will be strongly opposed. At the forefront of the Board decision is that the activities must be conducted within the current limitations that have been placed on the schools by the IDPH. In particular, the mandate that there can be no physical contact between athletes and that students must be socially distanced (6 ft. of separation) makes the administration and conduct of games and contests very difficult and in some cases impossible to adhere to the mandates. While there are plenty of youth league baseball and softball teams playing games and tournaments this summer, many are not adhering to the same stringent guidelines. Because summer leagues and travel ball are taking place, this may make the decision of the IESA Board of Directors seem odd. The difference is that schools will be held to the IDPH mandates and the youth summer contests are not. It would make little sense for IESA to move forward with these activities that would require schools to be in direct conflict with mandates by state agencies that have regulatory control over the schools.

COVID-19 has changed the world. However, this decision is not the end of the world. It is not the news that most students and parents want. At the end of the day, we work with junior high and middle school students. They are not professional athletes; they are not college athletes; they are not even high school athletes. They will not be missing out on any college scholarships. These are mainly 12-14 year old kids who will have many more opportunities to participate (perhaps even later this school year in other activities). We recognize that athletics play a huge role in the lives of students. Activities, despite their importance in the development of students, can never take precedence over the health and safety of those same students as well as the health and safety of contest officials, game management, and parents/fans who attend contests. The IESA Board of Directors made a difficult decision but in the end they simply felt that there are too many unknowns to proceed safely at this level of play.

IHSA is expected to make an announcement on their plans after their July 29th board meeting.

Dec 11, 2010
I don’t know why this popped into my head- I wonder if my school district will pay the coaches.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
Yea I got that sent tome today. It looks like USSSA is starting some fall leagues to fill in this fall. Still waiting to hear if my 6 and 13 year olds will have fall football since they are not associated with the school.

Nov 29, 2009
Not all Elementary schools in Illinois belong to the IESA. There are multiple sanctioning bodies out there. IESA is the largest.

May 29, 2015
Good point @Sparky Guy! Having spent my whole life (till next week) living in Central IL, I tend to forget that.

I even work quite a few games every year for a parochial association and I still forget that!

May 29, 2015
It is true that a drop in income can be covered by unemployment (in Illinois, not sure about other states). Coaches make such a small portion of their salary from coaching that I doubt unemployment would pick it up though.

(At least in my neck of the woods.)

Dec 11, 2010
I guess I was thinking the middle school coaches that are teachers.

Our school district prefers a school staff member with any level of experience (including none) over any outside coaches no matter how qualified they are.

The hs coaches make $2-3k per season so I would think middle school would be less. I bet they pay them, they treat it like it’s a benefit not a responsibility if that makes sense.

May 29, 2015
I guess I was thinking the middle school coaches that are teachers.

Our school district prefers a school staff member with any level of experience (including none) over any outside coaches no matter how qualified they are.

The hs coaches make $2-3k per season so I would think middle school would be less. I bet they pay them, they treat it like it’s a benefit not a responsibility if that makes sense.

I was thinking the same — didn’t consider non-teachers in that. Still only 10% (or less) of their income. I’m not sure what the drop needs to be before unemployment can kick in.

I hate to say it, but I also agree that’s how it should be: school staff over an outside contractor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01