Ideal contact point, body angles & hand positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Call these 'How to Break Your Bat"

Attachments

• front_Oregonvs-Washington-softball-.jpg
    front_Oregonvs-Washington-softball-.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 18
  • front_Oregonvs-Washington-softball-b.jpg
    front_Oregonvs-Washington-softball-b.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 16
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Never heard that one before.. it's horrible getting jammed. The example below is good timing on inside pitch, this is how you want to handle it..

Letting an inside pitch come into the arc. It's not an inside/out swing when letting the inside pitch get deep or letting the ball come right into your arc/rotation. A inside/out swing is how Jeter made his money, by forcing the ball the other way, Pudge as well.

giphy.gif

Also notice how he gets the hands in-front of the body/mid line.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I am just talking about intent and approach.. Donaldson has a good interview where he talks about intending letting the ball get deep... but he also says most damage is done out front... but if you go to the plate thinking about hitting it out front, that gets you in trouble.
maybe i am saying it wrong. I forget who the MLB player was on here someone posted, he stated he was always assuming the pitch would be over the outside of the plate. He went to the plate thinking outside pitch and reacted to anything different. I forget who that was. I told my DD about that and she liked the idea, i cannot recall if we ever got game time in with that mindset. But i think it will be something she uses in the future.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
maybe i am saying it wrong. I forget who the MLB player was on here someone posted, he stated he was always assuming the pitch would be over the outside of the plate. He went to the plate thinking outside pitch and reacted to anything different. I forget who that was. I told my DD about that and she liked the idea, i cannot recall if we ever got game time in with that mindset. But i think it will be something she uses in the future.
It's a super way to approach two-strike hitting. "Look away and react inside"

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Bomb in Italy:

View attachment 17031

Double off wall; (Notice that the catcher is actually set up behind the left handed hitter's batter's box. See where the umpire is at!
In the first pic, the right arm is still locked to the side, and the second is pretty well extended. Is the first a 'jam' and the second a slow pitch? Just trying to get a feel if either of the contact points is ideal? I understand hitting the pitch where it is, but looking to see if these are ideal. thanks in advance.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Letting an inside pitch come into the arc. It's not an inside/out swing when letting the inside pitch get deep or letting the ball come right into your arc/rotation. A inside/out swing is how Jeter made his money, by forcing the ball the other way, Pudge as well.

giphy.gif

Should the body tilt as much as a normal pitch? This video looks to me that instead of tilting, he lowers his hands around a tight hand arc to get to the ball. I have heard some say that a more straight up hitter can get to the inside pitch better.

May 12, 2016

giphy.gif

I never said anything about an inside out swing... Yes taking a ball the other way on an inside pitch is likely the the result of an inside out swing. Accuna is hitting this pitch out front, and that's where you want to hit an inside pitch. The swing from Trout you posted shows a hitter adjusting because they are trying to barrel the ball up.. the ball is getting too deep on an inside pitch, but of course Trout still handles it well.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Are you saying this is ideal? Or is this just a comment on the alligator arms?

Just showing how pros adjust deep for inside. And out front for outside.

1586641161015.gif

1586641354074.gif

the old adage was to hit the outside pitch deep and hit the inside out front.

6:30 mark

Attachments

• 1586641069698.gif
    1586641069698.gif
    7.5 MB · Views: 6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi