Ideal contact point, body angles & hand positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Actually, maybe they aren't perfect. The first one is an inside pitch after they had walked her several times. The second one is an outside faster pitch (Possible curve) after they had given her an intentional walk the time before. She was going to hit the ball and did off the fence. Again, disregard.
Thank you for the follow up.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Hitting the ball deep,

View attachment 17082
I guess on this i would also question whether hitting the ball deep vs hitting the ball 'deep enough' to make adjustments. I still think Miggy hits with more extension and was a great hitter.

My question for this thread was probably more around is it ideal to keep your rear elbow locked into your side at contact?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Pujols does seem to be deeper than most. With him and Trout as an example, is there something with more strength that means you should be able to keep farther back?

I’m not sure about strength being a factor. I think it’s just the fact that they make contact more square. The arm stays closer to their chest.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Pujols does seem to be deeper than most. With him and Trout as an example, is there something with more strength that means you should be able to keep farther back?

If your making square contact it might be because you TTB and the arc into the contact zone is flush. Not trying to time square contact out front.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
If your making square contact it might be because you TTB and the arc into the contact zone is flush. Not trying to time square contact out front.
I guess that is fair. Do you think that is better or worse for power or consistency? I would think that for power it would be worse as the extension 'may' allow greater bat speed. And for consistency, i am not sure. It may depend on the mindset of the hitter. If they are always trying to hit it that deep, then there is very little chance to adjust to outside pitches i would think. inside you could still pull thru, but either way i am not sure.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I guess that is fair. Do you think that is better or worse for power or consistency? I would think that for power it would be worse as the extension 'may' allow greater bat speed. And for consistency, i am not sure. It may depend on the mindset of the hitter. If they are always trying to hit it that deep, then there is very little chance to adjust to outside pitches i would think. inside you could still pull thru, but either way i am not sure.

I see the same hitters do it both ways, so I’m not 100% sure there is one method.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016

The deeper it gets, you are in a better position to hit outside pitches. Situation comes into play as well. If I'm up 2-0 in the count, I might target the down the middle or inside half, and I a looking to hit that pitch out front where I can do some real damage instead of letting it get deep where I might get jammed. Also depends on what type of hitter you are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi