Barrel Turning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Thought I would try the barrel turning explanation from a slightly different perspective...

But, before I do, a disclaimer that this is only about turning the barrel....there are other elements involved a good swing....hips opening before upper body, upper back muscles, etc....this is just about using the hands to get the barrel going....

Some say that you should make an angle with the front wrist and bat and try and maintain that angle and that when the shoulders get close to stopping their rotation the barrel will be catapulted around the hands....

I have been down the road of connection and IMO most kids just tend to over rotate and the barrel never unloads like people say it should....why? IMO because in the time it takes to swing a bat the precision needed is pretty near impossible unless you are a machine hitting a stationary ball....which is why you can pull it off somewhat on a tee....but with live swings you end up pulling off and hitting a lot of balls off the end of the bat....

Anyway....I have been a proponent of using your hands to apply pressure to the handle to get the barrel in motion early...as opposed to pulling the handle....

Here is K'Lee Arredondo....

arredondobarrelturn.gif

Aside from her getting her hips open while the upper body is closed....she does a great job of getting the barrel to contact even with the front forearm....meaning the front forearm and bat are pretty much in a straight line....and the front elbow is above the hands which are above the barrel....

Arredondocontact.JPG

We all know casting is a huge problem in fastpitch....the hands get outside the front elbow as they drop as a first move before starting forward.....many balls are hit off the handle or the smart girls learn to swing earlier so they can get the barrel around and pull everything....but casting is simply pulling/pushing the knob with both hands in the same direction....

And so I have been advising my players and students to try and turn the barrel earlier so that we replace the hands casting move with a twisting/turning move of the hands....

This also, as I have mentioned, gets the barrel into motion earlier so that by contact we are lined up....

But, as with teaching anything, you have to come at the problem from different angles to get through to different personalities....for instance, my daughter likes to think of her turning the handle....and so with this in mind maybe this is an easier way to explain barrel turning....

The pivot point is between the hands....so if you think about turning something quickly you learn to turn it in a tight radius....if the pivot point between the hands is turned in as tight of a radius as possible....the net effect will be that the barrel will at first look like it is being pulled straight, but then quickly get into in arcish path....kind of the way a double pendulum looks

doublepe.gif

And if you notice the "hinge" angle in the double pendulum is at first closing and then opening....it is not constant....

So, if you apply this thinking to barrel turning....you are simple trying to turn the pivot point between the hands as tightly as possible....this prevents casting and gets the barrel "releasing" early even though it doesn't look to be....the hands are applying pressure to the handle in different directions...they are not pulling or pushing in the same direction....ever

Some say you can simply place the bat agains the rear arm and turn (deltoid drill) and this will do what I just described....it will but the radius is not as tight as it should be....the hands will still get outside the elbow too soon and since we are locked down we need to keep turning to get the barrel around because the barrel has not been allowed to build up any rotational energy....it is simple following a circular path around the body....the hands are never applying pressure to the pivot point....they just pulling the handle in the direction of the knob....

And even though it looks like K'Lee is just pulling the handle she is really turning the handle but since the hands are also moving forward there is a delay in turning movement...this is why the barrel looks at first like it is being pulled instead being turned....rotational energy is being stored....

This is not a stay in place action....and this is why the barrel looks to be sliding out of her helmet at first....

Arredondobarrel.gif

Sep 17, 2009
MTS, I like all your stuff on hands/barrel path...here's a question though:

The way it feels to me when I swing is that if I cock my hands (a la Williams, etc) during the load then I HAVE no choice but to "turn" the barrel (with my hands) to get it back on plane....so while trying to explain and insert into a young hitter's sequence a conscious idea of applying opposing forces with the hands to turn the barrel is one way to do it, might teaching a proper hand/wrist cock (and hey, a hip cock while we're at it) as they move to launch position, leading to a *necessary and inevitable* barrel-turning to get those hands back on plane, get you the same result in a more instinctive way?

If I don't cock my hands then yes I guess I'd have to actively think about how to turn the barrel to plane/contact.

I've just never had a thought of actively turning the barrel when I swing...it just happens. And it feels to me that it's the counter-move to my hand/wrist cock.

It also seems like barrel-turning and hinge angle aren't mutually exclusive but rather support each other.

To me, this all feels similar to the idea that I've never thought about performing something like an elvis move in my lower half...I just try to load/explode my hips for power out of a dynamically balanced position and in doing so I pass through a lot of resulting body positions that get talked about here (elvis, rear knee down and in, rear foot eversion, etc) but which I've never actively thought about...they just happen as I execute the more important (and I'd say more athletic and instinctive) parts of the sequence like coil/cock/stretch/ and separation/hips leading hands...

TKS.

R

RayR

Hey Rich,

For the most part I am attacking the pronation of the bottom hand as the first move...it doesn't matter if they pre cock the wrist or not....most of the girls naturally want to line up the bat with the ball and to do this they drop the barrel via bottom hand pronation...the other one's learn to cast as they keep the wrist cocked to a fault....neither helps send the barrel into its path early....

This is tricky to see on video....because in a good swing the barrel looks to be pulled around at first....like it is coming out of a chute....

But as I said this is only part of the swing....IMO a very important part though....

The other way this can be taught is thinking of trying to get the rear elbow under the hands and then both turn together....to do this there has to be some pressure applied by the hands to keep the barrel up and keeping the hands from casting out....a twisting action of the top hand specifically....

Not to confuse the topic at hand....but what happens when you try and rotate your lower to middle back (the area between your hips and about the area under the shoulder blades) forward as you toe touch? Do you naturally keep the hands back and up slightly longer? Does this affect the shoulders? How about the hips and legs? Do you end up on your back toe when you finish your swing?

Can you just teach this middle back move? Yes and no....because if the hands don't know how to get the barrel going the hands will still end up casting or dropping....I like the feeling of trying to twist the handle to launch my hands...

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I am still not sold on this approach, I know that you have to apply some hand pressure when you start the bat but then I think that you have to ease off unless the pitch is outside and you have to get the bat released early. At what point do you cease trying to turn the barrel? MTS I PM'd you.

R

RayR

Arm, replied to your pm....barrel turning is more about the impulse needed to release the barrel into its path....from there it is on its own....it is not about starting the barrel early so you are not late....it is about recognizing pitch speed/location and then getting the barrel going....the release of the barrel happens at the moment you apply the hand pressure to get it going....which is when you make the decision to swing based on what your eyes are telling you...

I really like using the top hand twisting the handle to start the process of turning the barrel...it keeps the hands up and in place as the elbow slots....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole