Athletic posture while coiling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
The lead lat gets to pullin' and the rear arm gets to throwin'.

The lead arm on it's own doesn't do much work. It is influenced by rotation.

This alone should keep people from listening to your advice. A lead arm that is pulling and a rear arm that is throwing gets you a shoulders throw. That's about as low level as it gets, but by all means post a clip to support your claim. Go spend sometime in the pitching forum and preach how to beef up speed by working a glove arm pull. See how that goes for your DFP cred...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This alone should keep people from listening to your advice. A lead arm that is pulling and a rear arm that is throwing gets you a shoulders throw. That's about as low level as it gets, but by all means post a clip to support your claim. Go spend sometime in the pitching forum and preach how to beef up speed by working a glove arm pull. See how that goes for your DFP cred...

This here is basically a shoulder throw .... and yes, it is pretty much "as low level as it gets".

jyran15c.gif

FYI, BM explained the use of the lats in windmill pitching a while back. Look it up ... perhaps there is more enlightenment for you.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Lol, boys. Step up and post clips of your students and show me the light. DD's swing was used as an example of progress that is made by getting the glutes involved. It's a great swing, and I'll stand by it all day. A couple of you think it's not, that's cool. Everyone has an opinion, but those are just words on a screen and not proof of concept. Prove me wrong, post the results of your work for which to compare. There are plenty of HI clips to pull in as examples since we can see some of them on TV through the week...

True critics of HI should go back to the Judge thread and start posting how HI concepts screwed up his swing. Maybe if he introduces a lead arm lat pull, he'll get to 60 HR's :D.

Seriously FFS you are good at editing clips, should be no problem to blur out a face and show us your work. I don't know how many of your cult followers are aware that you got your training wheels installed at HI. Too bad you didn't stick around long enough to have them taken off.

adult-on-training-wheels.jpg

Bold above ... this is not a 'great swing'. IMO it is far from a 'great swing'.

jyran15c.gif

You seem to take that personal. For the sake of this girl, I recommend that you drop the ego and help her with your developing knowledge that her swing could be much better.

Also, I recommend not pinning this swing on HI. Take responsibility. I have viewed a good number of HI-related swings, and few look like this.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
JRyan, I like your distinction of Glute useage VS Quad useage within the athletic movement. For me the way the body is loaded creates an advantage or fluent platform in order for the Core to engage and control/direct then change direction. It is all part of a bigger picture. I agree with you on the concepts and I also agree with others on Core usage and the inclusion of the lead sides' influence on direction and timing.
So, the way the pelvis is acted upon, Glute VS Quad directly reflects how the core must act to maintain balance. A more Glute activated pelvis allows the core to work in more athletic ways than a Quad activated pelvis. hope that makes sense to some of you. For me how the pelvis is controlled is important, and by that I mean the entire pelvis, lead side and rear side. That control is resistance to counter rotation and is also the beginning of and a platform for direction and rotation.

Here's a link to a Springer launch. There's a little something in there for everyone..

https://twitter.com/PeabodyBaseball/status/985179089156763649

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
JRyan, I like your distinction of Glute useage VS Quad useage within the athletic movement. For me the way the body is loaded creates an advantage or fluent platform in order for the Core to engage and control/direct then change direction. It is all part of a bigger picture. I agree with you on the concepts and I also agree with others on Core usage and the inclusion of the lead sides' influence on direction and timing.
So, the way the pelvis is acted upon, Glue VS Quad directly reflects how the core must act to maintain balance. A more Glute activated pelvis allows the core to work in more athletic ways than a Quad activated pelvis. hope that makes sense to some of you. For me how the pelvis is controlled is important, and by that I mean the entire pelvis, lead side and rear side. That control is resistance to counter rotation and is also the beginning of and a platform for direction and rotation.

Here's a link to a Springer launch. There's a little something in there for everyone..

https://twitter.com/PeabodyBaseball/status/985179089156763649

Yes to the lead-side assisting with 'timing' and 'direction' ... and there is more ... for example, the elevation of the lead lat assists with the 'leveling/flattening' of the lead-arm ... i.e., the 'inspiration' for the lead-arm to be a 'swinger'.

Sep 7, 2017
I am not interested in hitting wars. What I see here is a swing that IMO is messed up.

What I perceive that Jyran is trying to teach appears to be taught in isolation of the core .... and that, IMO, is a mistake. He's not seeing, or understanding, the actions that I posted in the golf-related videos earlier.

Interesting that you use the word 'push' here ... that is pretty much spot on.

No im not either. Well see where it goes, I've seen it before.

The swing is a push and im not intending to be mean. The swing is poor and needs work. With that im out and i hope the dad and kid get what the deserve from their hard work down the line!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00