Ideal contact point, body angles & hand positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Would like to see photos of anyones thoughts on ideal contact points for an average fastball center cut over the plate. I don't want to muddy the waters with if it was a change or a cutter or anything else about zone position. Just looking for anyone to show a picture of what they think an ideal position of where the body and hands are and where that barrel contacts the ball.

If you are like Arlo Guthrie and can take 'twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us' by all means please do.

I don't care about how the hitter got there either, just a photo showing ideal contact points.

My curiosity is more around how far hands should be away from body, the angle of the barrel to the front forearm, shoulder angles, the angle from front foot all the way up to head, etc.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
What happens when the judges have seeing eye dogs?
No judges haha. Just looking for anyone to honestly let me know what they would think would be a good contact point and position.

I absolutely appreciate that Shawn put himself out there with his swing so that we could all learn and comment. To me it is great to actually swing and try to feel what you are trying to teach.

And at this point i am hoping to find out what the masses think the best position is. As i want to try and see if i can get my body into that position before showing DD.

I have the Blast sensor and have put hundreds of swings on, and being a slow pitch soft baller for 30 years, i have a terrible extended hands away from body rotational swing that looks absolutely terrible. I will not post it until i get somewhere close to where i want DD to be then get feed back as to where to help.

Shawns swing is absolutely Ellite compared to mine. I may get there, or i may not. haha.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Ok, I'll start. I like this as my ideal contact point. If i were to pull the camera even with the front of the plate, i think his body angle from front foot to head is around 70%. Arms half way extended from body still on the right side of body. I think if the elbow is too close to the body you don't get as much from the barrel whip.

1586556958926.png

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
i have always thought trout looked too jammed. Dont know if this is before or after contact, cant tell which way the blur goes.

1586557217663.png

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ok, I'll start. I like this as my ideal contact point. If i were to pull the camera even with the front of the plate, i think his body angle from front foot to head is around 70%. Arms half way extended from body still on the right side of body. I think if the elbow is too close to the body you don't get as much from the barrel whip.

View attachment 17015
I like this position. Some would say it is not deep enough.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"i have a terrible extended hands away from body rotational swing that looks absolutely terrible. "

Slow pitch is different. It is more like golf. Extended hands are a good thing. Longer levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi