I need work on my timing. What should I use?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach Lia: Since I have just began playing softball and my coach told me that I have trouble watching the ball I began to bat at the back of th plate so I could wait on the ball longer. It worked for me in one game, then another game the ball came by and I felt my position was awkward so I moved to the middle of the plate. That's where I bat now.
Jimginas: : I am a right handed batter. I just need to keep my eye on the ball. I'm ADHD and I be so eager just to hit the ball I just swing and turn my head to left field.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA

Jimginas: : I am a right handed batter. I just need to keep my eye on the ball. I'm ADHD and I be so eager just to hit the ball I just swing and turn my head to left field.

Ok, well, I'll tell you something about MYSELF! I LOVE GOLF, but SLICE the ball ALL the time, BECAUSE I am somewhat strong.. so I know I can hit the ball so FAR. SO I TRY TOO HARD that when I swing I PULL my head to see how FAR I hit it, and then I hit it BADLY! WHEN I am DISCIPLINED, I hit better because I COMMITED to keeping my HEAD STILL and SEEING the ball!
I KNOW you KNOW THIS. If you want to be a good batter - COMMIT to the discipline of KEEPING your HEAD STILL and TRACK the ball from pitcher's release to the bat. You will NEED to learn to do this if you want to learn to read the seams/spin of the ball as you get more experienced. Here's a way to think about it...... if you are PULLING your HEAD, HOW can you concentrate on the spin of the ball? You CAN'T - you have to Watch the ball all the way as it will break just before the plate and your best opportunity to hit a breaking pitch (especially up/down pitches!), is to read the seams.
Again, I hope you are working very hard. Have REALISTIC goals that you work toward, ACHIEVE, then set NEW GOALS! As an EXAMPLE - if you want to run 2.4, you might set a goal to get to 2.6 by the end of this year and 2.5 by the end of next, then 2.4 as a senior or 1st year of college. If you want to hit the ball hard CONSISTANTLY, then set goals for your work and a means to judge how hard you hitting 25 balls and improve from there.
Like EVERYBODY and MANY things in life, you may have to readjust your goals and keep working hard! Same as your school grades!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet