I need work on my timing. What should I use?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I'm working on my tee now to get my swing on point for my high school's summer season (im a returning player and want to do good this summer so I can show my coaches that I'm capable of starting on varsity since 7 of our players are graduating this year), and in my last practice I was fouling the balls back so I figure I need to work on my timing. Will a pitching machine do the job of getting my timing down? If so, do you know where I can get a good pitching machine under $400? Also, what do soft toss machines help with? Could they replace pitching machines?

May 12, 2008
If you were fouling the balls straight back your problem wasn't likely timing. If you were hitting off a machine, they throw back spin and I commonly see hitters swing under them fouling them back. And no, a machine will not help your timing. How about you get someone to video your swing and produce a clip for us to look at? You may have no problem at all.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I will second Mark's statement about the pitching machine. It very well could be detrimental, to what you are trying to achieve.

One machine that I do like is the Jug's Toss Machine. I hit off of it, myself.

With your tee work, make certain that the tee is positioned out in front if the plate and not sitting on it.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You could also check and see it your pitchers are also getting ready... have them throw some BP to you...game speed. That way they can work, and you can work.

Oct 19, 2009
Hitting live pitching is a great way to improve timing, try to simulate game situations and game speed for maximum benefit.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Tape your swing and view it in slow-mo. Chances are you are swinging differently than you do off a tee. Dropping hands to align them with the ball or simply not getting into rotation to allow your bat to get around and get moving in a slightly upward path. Might not be timing at all.

Jan 15, 2009
You may want to ask for some hitting lessons for Christmas. Otherwise all the practice in the world on any equipment might only reinforce bad habits. The unfortunate thing about many training methods is that you can get very positive feedback (i.e. feel like your crushing the ball) using mechanics that won't translate in the game. The best combination IME is to get set up with semi private or private lessons once a week and then go and reinforce the lessons by practicing 3-5 times yourself in between. I've seen plenty of kids who do one or the other fail to progress because they don't realize it takes both to make significant progress. For the price of a decent composite bat you should be able to set up 12 weeks of lessons somewhere.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Pitching machines are in my mind good for 1 thing...confidence. Confidence so really fast pitching..65 ish.. wont psyche a batter out . Note that this WILL help you hit the ball..mentally..just not so much physically, most machines are much easier to hit than live pitching. The ball placement and speed is very consistent, easy to zero in on.

You need close pitching from a coach behind a screen who varies the ball position inside high-low to outside high-low, and can evaluate how you respond to each, and correct deficiencies in your mechanics.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
fortheloveofsoftball12: I agree 100% with SnocatzDad and Mudbug. You can learn confidence hitting machine at 65-70MPH and NOT spend MONEY on your own pitching machine. (Go to batting cages and spend a LOT less money and don't worry about the transport and how to get electric to the machine!)
Best way to learn COORDINATION to contact is hitting PITCHED BALLS to all parts of teh plate, to include what pitches NOT to swing at! If you practice mechanics that aren't favorable to get you to contact, you will develop muscle memory that is harder to change as you get older.
** A well known/successful hitting coach will WELL be worth the money. Sounds like a GREAT Christmas present to me! (if a choice between a machine or hitting coach.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish