How would you handle this with you DD's Personal Instructor?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
As a coach I pop in on everyone's lessons from my team in an effort to:
- Get to know the instructors
- Show support for the players development
- Hopefully learn something so as not to stay in a box of my own understanding
- And also have a better understanding of what my players are learning
(Especially in hitting where we have different schools of thought like Linear vs. Rotational)

I try to treat my DD the same. I go occasionally to lessons and not every week. However in that past few weeks after the holidays I decided to go each of the last 3-4 weeks and what I have seen really concerns me.

I love the teacher's way in which she teaches ...When she teaches....We pay $40 for 30 minutes of time. Yet the PC spends anywhere from 5-10 minutes texting and checking messages on her phone during the lessons. Sometimes she stops to do it and other times she is merely tossing balls not focusing on the player while reading. I have others on our team who go to her and share the same common complaint.

Example of another Dad's frustration: Last night he asked the PC if she was going to extend next week's lesson by 10 minutes? The PC had a blank look on her face. She asked if he wanted her to keep working w/ his DD a while longer to which he responded, "Yes". His comment was aimed at the late start of his DD's lesson due to the use of the phone. (His DD was supposed to start at 6:30 and did not start until 6:40 b/c of the texting and talking between lessons.) In the 3-4 weeks I have come it is a common practice that we also start 3-5 minutes late on average and stop right on time. Always due to texting, talking and other issues. I would not mind if when we started late so long as we still got 30 minutes and during those 30 minutes she gave my player her full attention.

So how would you address this?
Am I off base for thinking I am paying for 30 minutes of focused attention?
Should I even say anything at all and if I do how do you start the conversation
without coming across as an aggressive jerk?

Really Fit to be Ties on this one...:mad:
Not sure how to handle this as I do not want to be a jerk but feel it needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I never answer my phone during a lesson. I teach 45 minutes for $20.00 and you get my undivided attention. We start on time and keep going a little bit, if we are in the middle of something. When it is hot, we will pitch awhile and then, take a water break. I can check my phone, then. IF one of my adult children or elderly mother has an emergency, they are to call and keep calling.

So, I would tell her employer, if she is at a facility, just what the problem is. If she is on her own, find someone else.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This sounds like what turned me off to PC many years ago. My DD was 9, I come from BB background so I thought "what the heck". Well this lady had been doing this 15 years, had a pretty good run in her day of FP ( college and beyond ). It was $50 for 30 mins. Well I warmed DD up, she "taught" for 5-8 mins, then I caught DD with the lesson of the day. The PC went on to the next paying idiot in the next lane. 3 times of that is when I decided to teach my own kid, and still glad to this day I did. Maybe it was a blessing.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Just be upfront. After all, it is your DD AND your money. Just tell her that you are looking for a PC that is going to give his/her undivided attention to your daughter. Especially, when she is getting paid $80/hour.

Oct 25, 2009
I would let her know your concern. It will be an uncomfortable feeling but she is the one who put herself in that position with the unprofessional conduct. After all, if McDonalds didn't give you your fries and drink with your combo I'm sure you wouldn't just drive away unhappy.

The first lesson or so after may be a little awkward but the instruction will be more focused I'm sure. And it will benefit others, also.

Nov 29, 2009
I tell ya it's a generational thing. The kids in their 20's have grown up with their phones as an extension of their brains. If it summons they must answer it.

I've had to tell my own DD to keep her phone in her pocket or purse on more than one occasion during lessons. I will admit that I answer my phone during lessons, but only for work. All of my work comes through my cell phone so my lively hood depends on it. The calls are less than 60 seconds 95% of the time with a majority of them being less than 30 seconds and no texting.

If this seems to be a recurring activity by the coach during lessons then you need to say something to her. Especially at $40 for 30 minutes. It's hard enough to cover things in 30 minutes without adding constant interruptions. Ask her to please keep her cell phone in her purse until you're done with the lesson.

One time while addressing a large group of parents and kids at the end of clinic I had forgotten to turn off the ringer for my phone. My wife called me at that time. I have a unique ringtone for her. It goes BLAH... BLAH, BLAH... And then starts saying BLAH, BLAH, BLAH faster and faster. Needless to say it got a laugh from the kids and the parents. The wife didn't like when I put the the TARZAN yell on her phone for my ringtone.... :D

Some people never grow up... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Tell the PC directly and politely.

"I don't feel like I am getting what I pay for. I pay for 30 minutes of coaching but I never get the full 30 minutes. You are on your phone or texting for extended periods of time and it interupts the lesson and I don't appreciate it."

if she says too bad, or continues to do it. You have to move on.

ts not a generational thing, its a common courtesy thing. To say otherwise makes it sound like it is out of her control. The teenage players can make it a whole practice or game without the phone, a PC should be able to as well.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Instructors schedule lessons back to back. So 30 minutes turns into 25 minutes at best, I am OK with that. If they do not have back to back, 30 minutes turns into 45 minutes. This doesn’t happen very often.

Since there are other people around DD does not get their full attention all the time but certainly enough that we are comfortable and happy with. For example they will show DD new drill, make sure she is doing correctly, move away a little bit to do something else while still keeping an eye on DD. Come back and says good job or corrects her a little bit.

With all that said I have never seen an Instructor, even in camps where it would be very easy to do, actively use their cell phone. I would not be happy and say something.

If you like the instructor I would just state to them that you do not thing DD is getting enough of their attention during her lessons and see where the conversation goes from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd