How to make a kid HATE school ball in 3 easy steps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I can give tons of other examples if you like.... Bottom line Most Colleges do list HS and accomplishments.

Correct. Here is Alex Hugo -

High School: Four-year letterwinner at Olathe High School...Named the 2012 Sunflower League Player of the Year...Named an All-Metro First Team All-Star and a Mo-Kan. All-Star...Hit .500 with 10 doubles, three triples and four home runs as a senior...Delivered 39 RBI and scored 45 runs while leading the Falcons to a record of 21-4 and a Kansas 6A runner-up finish...All-Sunflower League Second Team selection as a freshman...Earned All-Sunflower League First-Team, All-State and All-Johnson County honors as a sophomore and junior...Played for the KC Peppers Gold for three summers under Dan Eakin...Played eight seasons for the KC Flash travel team...Played for the Wichita Mustangs...2009 AFA Kansas State All-Tournament Team member...2008 Mizuno Softball Series Offensive Player of the Tournament.

Three sentences about club ball.

But, that doesn't mean HS is more important in the journey toward college ball. It just means that people in general don't care about travel ball that much. They are more interested biographically in where somebody is from. It's happened several times that my DD is hitting balls at a local park and somebody will be impressed and ask what high school she attends. They don't follow nor care about travel ball. That's why it's highlighted in the media guide.

Mar 26, 2016
I would suggest to encourage her to play. Actually use getting put on JV as an extra motivator. HS ball is more for memories, playing with friends, and those types of things. In life we all have come across decisions to people we don't agree with.

Most players have come in contact with that try to change things, when that happens with my daughter she just agrees with them, takes there advice and then reverts to what she knows to be right.

She tears it up on JV they'll move her up.

May 13, 2012
Most players have come in contact with that try to change things, when that happens with my daughter she just agrees with them, takes there advice and then reverts to what she knows to be right.

And here is the problem. Get a HS coach that can tell the difference between what they want and what is being taught by a paid coach and it is no win for the player. Ignore the HS coach and labeled as uncoachable or punished somehow. Do what the HS coach wants parents see money going down the drain and get upset. While some differences may be of little importance, say lead off with foot beside bag vs on leading edge, hitting and pitching can really contridict each other. HE vs IR or squish the bug vs driving off rear leg. My DD will finish this yr and probably not play school ball nxt due to PC vs HS PC being very different styles but HS demands their way.

Sep 29, 2014
Just let her play JV and have a good time with girls from her school, a lot less pressure, she can have fun but still focus when she is on the field just not have to worry about off field drama as much.

If she starts really crushing it on the JV team she can easily work her way up, we had a couple girls actually play JV all year and got called up for playoffs because coach wanted options off the bench that girls on varsity could not fill.

Mar 26, 2016
And here is the problem. Get a HS coach that can tell the difference between what they want and what is being taught by a paid coach and it is no win for the player. Ignore the HS coach and labeled as uncoachable or punished somehow. Do what the HS coach wants parents see money going down the drain and get upset. While some differences may be of little importance, say lead off with foot beside bag vs on leading edge, hitting and pitching can really contridict each other. HE vs IR or squish the bug vs driving off rear leg. My DD will finish this yr and probably not play school ball nxt due to PC vs HS PC being very different styles but HS demands their way.

I see your point, but if my daughter is labeled in any type of way as being uncoachable due to reverting to what a paid hitting coach, by the time she's in HS she's had worked with for some years has taught her, then as a parent it's time for a parent to intervene. I would actually push my daughter to speak with the coach herself first before I got involved though.

Are there that many HS coaches that try to change things? I mean if a kid is doing great, and it's some minor thing why try to change it?

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I see your point, but if my daughter is labeled in any type of way as being uncoachable due to reverting to what a paid hitting coach, by the time she's in HS she's had worked with for some years has taught her, then as a parent it's time for a parent to intervene. I would actually push my daughter to speak with the coach herself first before I got involved though.

Are there that many HS coaches that try to change things? I mean if a kid is doing great, and it's some minor thing why try to change it?

I have heard stories that the thing the outside coaches fear the most is a TB or HS coach trying to "fix" what the kids learn from their coaches. I had to assure DD 3's PC that DD 3's new TB coaches wouldn't "fix" her pitching.

I don't always understand it, but a lot of coaches think their way is the only way, and the best way, so they need to "fix" what the kids are doing. Yeah, the kid may be the best hitter and fielder on the team, but think of how much better she would be if only she did things the RIGHT way...

I've seen this in rec ball. My DD 3 was the first (out of 60 girls) drafted spring of last year for her rec ball league. Obviously not a bad player. At one point she had in-the-park HRs in 4 straight games, and I saw at least 2 times when she would've had a HR except the 3rd base coach stopped her. In one case she was almost halfway from 3rd to home. Clearly not a bad hitter, and she was probably the team's best fielder as well. But, the rec league coaches kept telling her that everything she had learned from her TB coaches and outside coaches about hitting and fielding was wrong. She finally stopped going to her rec ball practices, and would just show up for the games. That isn't an option for the HS girls, though.

It was interesting to see the difference in hitting and fielding between my DD 3 and the rec ball coaches' girls. One way I judge a coach is by how well the coach's DD plays. She doesn't have to be the best player on the team, but her play is a reflection on the coaching.

Mar 28, 2013
Then there is this conversation, Recruiter: so how's your High school games going, Player: I'm not playing any High school ball, Recruiter: why is that? Player: well the coach does not know what he is doing, err no ,its my parents they don't like how the coach coaches, err ,no really its because I felt I was way to good for JV, NO err Its really because they would not let me play my TB position, No really because I sat to much. well, err Naw just couldn't get along with a few Team mates. Recruiter, Well I understand completely now,Best of luck as he turns and draws a line thru players name. For goodness sake encourage her to play and find a way to make the best of this situation, That skill will serve her well long after she hangs up the cleats.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Interesting.

There are other things a girl could do. DD 1 was a fast enough runner, at one point she was considering running track at HS and just playing on her TB team. That didn't happen. She quit her TB team, so she played softball her freshman year instead. Then she quit both sports. :mad: We thought that she would run track after she quit softball, but she didn't.

Just sayin', if the girl is fast, she could run track for HS, and play TB. Then, when the recruiter asks about HS ball, just say she wanted to work on her speed, so she went out for the track team instead of SB, since she was playing a great TB team anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish