How to fix collapsing back leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
townhound,
Your kidding right? What would you want her back leg to do, straighten? Do some reading and looking first at model swings. Don't coach what the hitter does right naturally out of her. If your serious please show more pics of what you think the hitter does wrong. Posters will kindly help. Look at my avaitar would I post a pic of my DD looking close to the "bad "pic that you posted. Other than the ball being in the pic looks like the same bat lag position to me.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2012
Honestly its not a joke, i know there needs to be some bend in her leg but 1-3 swings in a game her back knee can be as close to 4-6 inches off the ground. Maybe the pic i uploaded didnt do the problem justice. For instance: during Allstars this year she was crushing the ball, one went out at roughly 160'. Last night, dropping the back knee, 3 pop flyes in the infield. Tonight, i video taped her soing Tee work to upload, guess what, performed for the camera and hit well!!! I will try to post it. Maybe I am being to critical of a 9 year old. Maybe the 9 year old is playing me!!!lol

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I always tell my team girls after they are bummed from flying out, "hey, next time try to hit about a half inch higher on ball."

So to get her knee to 4" off the ground she has to be striding out long or her whole body is lowering.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Could her timing be off a little. The ball should be in the picture you took. If she is early that could explain lunging and pop ups. Also it doesn't show up when hitting off the tee. Pic of my kid (sorry, I am just excited I learned how to post them off RVP), she is just a little farther in the swing than your team girl, but the ball is much deeper.

photo-8.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2012
Ok, so i posted a video of her hitting off a Tee. Nothing like I described. Maybe its game time pressure or anxiousness!!!

Aug 13, 2012
Possibly low pitches could account for some of it. In the video it looks like her arms are starting to straighten out when she "loads" not keeping them in more of an "L" position.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Not an expert but seems to be "squishing" the bug very early in sequence which looks to cause the bent/collapsing back legs? You'll get some much better critiques than mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32