How to fix collapsing back leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I agree with Amy- she has better form than most of the girls I've seen her age up through HS!
One thing I noticed in the Video is that sometimes she was starting to lean back when she swung, which would bring her back knee closer to the ground (I saw this in redhotcoach's photo too). the knee being close to the ground is the symptom, not the problem. she is loading and shifting her weight to the front leg correctly but sometimes she then leans back as she swings, shifting the weight in the wrong direction and causing more of an uppercut when she swings.

The first photo looked problemmatic but the 2nd photo looked absolutely perfect pending pitch/contact location. If she started leaning back after the picture was taken and then made contact, it wouldn't surprise me to see the knee closer to the ground and the hit being a pop-up.

to me this is a fine tuning thing BUT the most important thing for her is to keep having fun. too much instruction and you'll lose her.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Apparently I wrote too much. she looks fine- don't "fix" what ain't broke!
AlbertPujols_2006_Single_002.jpgimage.jpg

I wish I could post them larger, side-by-side.

Aug 13, 2012
I want to thank all of those that replied. Sometimes I need to take a step back and realize she is just 9(just turned) and not to be overly critical at this point. Keep it fun, teach good fundamentals, keep it fun!!!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Keep it fun, teach good fundamentals, keep it fun!!! Yes this is so true. Keep it fun for your DD. Your job is to learn the fundamentals. Learn the proper hitting sequence. Watch your DD and make the minor adjustments. Get a bucket of softballs and just go out an hit. Think back when you were young and your dad pitched balls to you. Man that was fun. Theres a lot that can be learned by just hitting softballs tossed by dad. Have fun and enjoy the time you spend together because,before you know it, you will be tossing softballs to a college player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes