How should a ball spin when hit off a tee?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
For a power hitter I would look for a slight backspin for maximum distance. For a speed player a slight topspin will increase the number of ground balls.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
IMO, this a good example to go along with a "hands/knob to the ball" cue, and the part of the swing where I would apply it. As I have commented before, I use the cue with some hitters with a looping/DBSF type of hand path.

Great cue to use as long as the hitter doesnt actually drop the knob to the height of the ball and keeps the knob inside the ball, not to the ball.
If the hitter moves the knob to the height of the ball and towards the ball they will drop and have the bat level. Most of the time you will see a low finish and the hitter wont be working the bat up into contact.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Great cue to use as long as the hitter doesnt actually drop the knob to the height of the ball and keeps the knob inside the ball, not to the ball.
If the hitter moves the knob to the height of the ball and towards the ball they will drop and have the bat level. Most of the time you will see a low finish and the hitter wont be working the bat up into contact.

Agreed. That's why the instruction that goes along with a cue is critical, and interpreting a cue literally may lead to problems.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Agreed. Good hitting instructors use cues that describe the desired action.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
33o1tp5.jpg

Two things. First I think this is a good view of knob to ball and second the barrel is still up when the hands reach the front side.

EricF, what do you think about this clip?

I don't think this is necessarily "knob to the ball". This is just a moment in time of a circular hand path that's taking the barrel to the ball. The knob will naturally be directed somewhat towards the ball in the course/path of the swing. That doesn't make it a needed teach. It will just appear that way in any clip. In other words you never think about taking the ax handle to the cut in a tree...you just take the ax head there.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Slight slice is better than hook, but generally I would shoot for hitting knuckleballs off the tee (exit and launch angle match).

I disagree. Unless I'm misunderstanding...

A slice swing to me is swinging "out to in" which would imply a casting motion\loose "V" at the start of the swing and cutting across the ball...

Tee position (in ALL 3 dimensions) is a crucial variable here in terms of what spin you should see...haven't seen that mentioned...CP

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I disagree. Unless I'm misunderstanding...

A slice swing to me is swinging "out to in" which would imply a casting motion\loose "V" at the start of the swing and cutting across the ball...

Tee position (in ALL 3 dimensions) is a crucial variable here in terms of what spin you should see...haven't seen that mentioned...CP

I was talking standard tee position, ball down the middle, one you'd want to drive straight down the fairway to CF.

Been thinking about this more as it applies to DD. Hit off too some more after starting this thread. She doesn't regularly get the knuckle ball. Still gets occasional slice. Ball goes to center, might roll 5 feet to the right of where it first lands. I'm thinking to get it more straight she really needs to master the rotation of the 'two engines,' as some call it. Her top engine/torso needs more ferris wheel, less merry go-round. Has something to do with that.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Slices and hooks are not good. Being able to make the ball fade and draw off the tee is a great skill to have.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Agreed. Good hitting instructors use cues that describe the desired action.
IMO, good instructors use cues that help the hitter perform the desired action. Often, I use a cue as a mental trigger - a few words to remind the hitter of a more detailed instruction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish