How should a ball spin when hit off a tee?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
No need to apologize for your misunderstanding, im here to help. Hands inside the ball IS a cue for direct hand path and at the same time describes what should occur in a swing. Not changing the conversation. The cue aligns with the action. The same cant be said for knob to the ball. I dont like knob to the ball.

Speaking of changing the conversation lol, how should the ball spin off the tee? Haha

In my experience, kids already understand that their hands need to be inside the ball to deliver the barrel to the contact point. That part is implied and understood. I haven't (yet) had a kid take a "hands direct to the ball" cue so literally that the ball hits them in the hands. My use of the cue is also used in relation to hand path direction at the beginning part of the Mig clip posted earlier, as a correction for dropping/looping. For me, it has been effective when I have needed it. If "hands inside the ball" gets the job done for you, cool. Not every kid learns the same way.

I think the ball spin thing was already covered.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
In my experience, kids already understand that their hands need to be inside the ball to deliver the barrel to the contact point. That part is implied and understood. I haven't (yet) had a kid take a "hands direct to the ball" cue so literally that the ball hits them in the hands. My use of the cue is also used in relation to hand path direction at the beginning part of the Mig clip posted earlier, as a correction for dropping/looping. For me, it has been effective when I have needed it. If "hands inside the ball" gets the job done for you, cool. Not every kid learns the same way.

Eric, as much as I admire you and your informative posts, I have to disagree with you on this one. My DD isn't playing HS ball her Senior year specifically because their HS Hitting Coach wants "a level swing and hands to the ball." His version of a level swing is hands level with the bat. Hands to the ball means exactly that. The hands aren't even close to being inside the ball. many are fouled off on the handle resulting in strikeouts. He has ruined many a great hitters because of this. For example, he turned a hitter that set the state record her Junior year by hitting 3 OTFHR's in a single game to a girl that could barely hit 180' in fly pop-ups and hit 1 OTFHR's in her entire senior year. By the same token, he expects that the hitters will cast for the outside balls as well as the inside ones because he wants them to hit them out in front by 3' or so to left field. This usually results in a foul ball since they are hitting them too far out in front and they can't time the ball let alone time the swing. There are many coaches out there that are truly uninformed and have no clue. It takes my DD 5-6 weeks to get her swing back to hitting the way she normally does which is why she chose not to play HS ball this year. Her college coach is keeping a close eye on her and she doesn't want to jeopardize that by whiffing every at bat which she has done the past 3 years. This is a batter that has ungodly statistics in TB as a general rule.

What your players understand has no bearing on what other HC's teach.

Last edited:

ian

Jun 11, 2015

Good knowledge. Some players when overly cued with knob to the ball will take that direct line (miggy gif) and continue it down and follow through too low. Like a chopping action. They end up finishing around their waist and in extreme cases even lower. Have you seen this in your experiences Eric?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For those hitters that take "hands to the ball" too literally, "keep your front shoulder in as long as possible" can promote the desired hand path IME. Cue mileage can vary significantly!

ian

Jun 11, 2015
YO coach-

Dropping? Casting? Level swing? Foul bombs? Where is the school at? I have a player who can do all of that!

Nov 18, 2015
To continue with the off-topicness of this thread, and heading back to the Harper clip, I noticed how far out in front the Texas tee's (Texas tea? Sounds alcoholic - I could use one right about now!) are placed.

It's almost inevitable both girls end at what looks to be a locked-out front arm, since they have to reach out to make contact. Harper, who I believe is hitting from a side toss, is making contact on the inside of his front foot. Maybe it's the camera angle, but it looks to be a difference of maybe 6" at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, as much as I admire you and your informative posts, I have to disagree with you on this one. My DD isn't playing HS ball her Senior year specifically because their HS Hitting Coach wants "a level swing and hands to the ball." His version of a level swing is hands level with the bat. Hands to the ball means exactly that. The hands aren't even close to being inside the ball. many are fouled off on the handle resulting in strikeouts. He has ruined many a great hitters because of this. For example, he turned a hitter that set the state record her Junior year by hitting 3 OTFHR's in a single game to a girl that could barely hit 180' in fly pop-ups and hit 1 OTFHR's in her entire senior year. By the same token, he expects that the hitters will cast for the outside balls as well as the inside ones because he wants them to hit them out in front by 3' or so to left field. This usually results in a foul ball since they are hitting them too far out in front and they can't time the ball let alone time the swing. There are many coaches out there that are truly uninformed and have no clue. It takes my DD 5-6 weeks to get her swing back to hitting the way she normally does which is why she chose not to play HS ball this year. Her college coach is keeping a close eye on her and she doesn't want to jeopardize that by whiffing every at bat which she has done the past 3 years. This is a batter that has ungodly statistics in TB as a general rule.

From your own description, poor coaching can overshadow the natural instincts of good athletes. This still isn't an issue of the "hands to the ball" cue being bad, but rather it being used poorly - used literally - by a coach who doesn't have a good understanding of decent swing mechanics.

I definitely agree that there are a lot of uninformed coaches out there.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016

That is highly unusual even among old school coaches (maybe you got that wrong?) Knob to the ball almost always means general direction of the ball but close to the body toward the pitcher ("inside the ball"). Never heard a coach teaching to cast the hands outward to the ball.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
33o1tp5.jpg

Two things. First I think this is a good view of knob to ball and second the barrel is still up when the hands reach the front side.

EricF, what do you think about this clip?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
33o1tp5.jpg

Two things. First I think this is a good view of knob to ball and second the barrel is still up when the hands reach the front side.

EricF, what do you think about this clip?

IMO, this a good example to go along with a "hands/knob to the ball" cue, and the part of the swing where I would apply it. As I have commented before, I use the cue with some hitters with a looping/DBSF type of hand path.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA