How to properly hit off a tee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Chis Delorit
Great idea to hit the tee, as it's hands down the best place to break down and re-construct a players swing. Boring for players who don't understand it, you have to make it fun, interesting and competitive.

Chris you make some good points. I would like to expand the reference to making it fun, interesting and competitive.

One thing I would do is set a 3 tees with balls on the tees. One near third, one behind the pitcher's mound and one close to first, the hitters would try and knock the balls off the tees hitting off a tee at home plate. The tee would be set up for a inside pitch, a pitch down the middle and an outside pitch with the goal to hit a line drive knocking the ball off the tee. I would move the tee up and back to make it more or less difficult for the hitter. An example set the tee for in inside pitch for a right hand hitter, the hitter attempts to hit a line drive knocking the ball off the tee near third. I would award some kind of surprise for the hitter closes to hitting the balls off the tees and sometimes they would hit the balls.

Hope others would have other ideals to make hitting from a tee interesting for the kids.

I would always work on tracking the ball when working off the tee, with the younger kids I would stand be hind a net with a plastic ball, the batter hitting from the tee would stand in front of me behind the net I would use a pitching motion release the ball into the net the hitter would track the ball from my hand to the ball on the tee and hit the ball. As they get older I have them picture a pitcher on the mound pitching and then imagine tracking a pitch to the ball on the tee.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
I would always work on tracking the ball when working off the tee, with the younger kids I would stand be hind a net with a plastic ball, the batter hitting from the tee would stand in front of me behind the net I would use a pitching motion release the ball into the net the hitter would track the ball from my hand to the ball on the tee and hit the ball. As they get older I have them picture a pitcher on the mound pitching and then imagine tracking a pitch to the ball on the tee.

I recall this being a Carrier method. Maybe from a clinic or posts? I don't recall. Respectfully, I wonder if there is any real world value, pretending to track a ball that isn't moving? Is having the eyes follow a path without a ball just good practice in general? See ball at release, lose sight of ball but track path, then see it again and hit it off tee vs real pitch of seeing the release and beginning of path, swinging to meet path, losing sight of the ball at contact. Just curious.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I want to add this. I use tee work a lot. However, whatever we are working on is best ingrained by taking those concepts and then having a ball in the air. I prefer front toss.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
I'm taking a wild guess but we probably do 80% front toss 20% tee work. Tee is the most boring but best tool if used properly.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Oct 19, 2009
I recall this being a Carrier method. Maybe from a clinic or posts? I don't recall. Respectfully, I wonder if there is any real world value, pretending to track a ball that isn't moving? Is having the eyes follow a path without a ball just good practice in general? See ball at release, lose sight of ball but track path, then see it again and hit it off tee vs real pitch of seeing the release and beginning of path, swinging to meet path, losing sight of the ball at contact. Just curious.

Yes I learned this from a post here from Carrier, which I tried myself with a tee and IMO was very helpful in training the eyes on tracking the ball. I used it with my daughter, when I coached a travel team and now DD is a high school coach and using it with her players. My experience it was helpful DD hit over 400 average in her 4 years in college and hit for over a 500 average one year in college. As with any training being diligent and using correct mechanics can make a difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00