How many hitting lessons per week?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
Cincinnati, Oh.
Once a week for the first 6 to 8 weeks, Then once a month there after for reinforcement.

I have to say my dd hasn't seen her coach for 5 weeks and is finally hitting the cover off the ball.

I'm in no way saying it's him. I just think she is learning to think for herself. He's not reminding her, on every swing, what to do.

Jul 2, 2013
So much depends on the condition of her swing. How good is it? Where is she weak? Can coaching help?

These are things only a parent, after consulting with various expert hitting coaches can determine.

For example, we were very lucky that my DD had excellent coaches when 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. By that time most all the kinks had been worked out, and really the rest was mental. And recognizing potential bad habits, and elevating her approach like waiting until the ball gets deeper in the zone, and going the opposite way. These are mental things and have little to do with the actual swing mechanics.

For us, it was a batting cage twice a week for an hour or so, A couple hundred pitches, no coaches.

For others it is completely different. They may not have started so early. Need help. Need a coach. Need to pay for a coach.

My only advice for parents. Learn the hitting stroke. Absorb everything DFP has to offer. Use this information to structure a specified plan for your DD. It literally takes YEARS to get a great hitting stroke. But to get there, it take a series of small, pre-determined and planned steps. In order for a DD to build a great hitting stroke, she has to learn one or two changes at a time. Master those changes, until they come automatically, and then tackle one or two more steps.

A coach who wants to change a bunch at one time ... run away. In reality, it takes probably a half dozen great coaches over a period of a half dozen year, to have a great hitting stroke. The best, and my favorite, especially when young, is to pick a travel team with a coach who is a great hitting coach. That is how we did it. You travel coach (also hitting coach) will see game reps, and give enough instruction of what needs to be worked on ... then hit the cage on your own time.

When young (12 or under) there is plenty of time to find the big org who will help get a scholarship. Now, play for a travel team with a great hitting coach ... and do and practice what he says.

Sigh ... the paid hitting coaches will hate me.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Big difference in hitting lessons vs. BP or just plain practice...
When I work with my players or younger students, its a combo of the three. Hitting lessons are very mechanical driven and bp is applying those mechanics in action.
Actual hitting lesson....once a week at the most, practice and bp... 5 days a week!

Sep 3, 2009
Once a week is good. Practice just depends on the level they want to play at. If you're playing high level A ball, then you'd better be hitting 6 or 7 days a week. Alot of people may think that is unreasonable. But if you ask the top hitters at the highest levels how much they practice hitting, you'll get the answer.

My DD sees her hitting coach once a week. We don't take breaks away from lessons, or think that we're at a point that we don't need them. I don't think a swing is ever learned to the point that you're done. You're striving for perfection to be executed every time.

I don't know that what we do is right or wrong, but it's what we do. Your mileage may vary.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If you're playing high level A ball, then you'd better be hitting 6 or 7 days a week. Alot of people may think that is unreasonable. But if you ask the top hitters at the highest levels how much they practice hitting, you'll get the answer.

How do you define high-level A ball? For some players, hitting 6-7 times/week will trigger the law of diminishing returns and lead to burn out. I don't think you need to hit that often to be good, but perhaps I'm naive and don't yet know what good is.

Oct 14, 2008
I have to say my dd hasn't seen her coach for 5 weeks and is finally hitting the cover off the ball.

I'm in no way saying it's him. I just think she is learning to think for herself. He's not reminding her, on every swing, what to do.

Like I said once a week for the first 6 to 8 to Learn the swing that she is going to use, then only come back once a month or as the player and parent sees fit.

Another reason she may be hitting the cover off the ball is her mechanics may have finally clicked, Every kid has a different learning curve. some sooner some later.

Tim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck