How many HBP have you seen in a NCAA softball game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I watched 2 Grand Canyon University pitchers combine to hit 6 Tennessee State University batters last Saturday. The TSU girls didn't look like they were trying to avoid the pitches very much.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Interesting. I was curious and found the GC pitchers' box score

Grand Canyon ip h r er bb so wp bk hbp ibb ab bf fo go
Nowlin, Taylor L,0-2 2.1 4 3 2 0 4 1 0 2 0 9 12 0 2

Sepulveda, Kiki 3.2 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 4 0 11 16 3 7

6 HBP, 5 hits, 5 Ks, 0 walks, 0 WP allowed for the game by GC pitchers
TSU's 6 HBP were split among 3 players: #2 hitter (3x), #4 hitter (2x), and #5 hitter (1x)
Based on innings pitched, these were GC's #3 and #4 Ps
Starter gave up 2 HBP and reliever promptly HBP the first 2 batters she faced
Interestingly, only 1 of the 6 HBP scored
These teams had played the day before w/ GC winning 7-6 in 9 inning ITB (1 HBP by GC)

Don't know if it was a pitch inside/move them off the plate/don't let these hitters beat you strategy or just a freak control loss (no walks or WP in the game and only a total of 10 HBP in 11 games this season). Regardless, consider yourself lucky to have seen a tight 6 HBP game!

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Interesting. I was curious and found the GC pitchers' box score

Grand Canyon ip h r er bb so wp bk hbp ibb ab bf fo go
Nowlin, Taylor L,0-2 2.1 4 3 2 0 4 1 0 2 0 9 12 0 2

Sepulveda, Kiki 3.2 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 4 0 11 16 3 7

6 HBP, 5 hits, 5 Ks, 0 walks, 0 WP allowed for the game by GC pitchers
TSU's 6 HBP were split among 3 players: #2 hitter (3x), #4 hitter (2x), and #5 hitter (1x)
Based on innings pitched, these were GC's #3 and #4 Ps
Starter gave up 2 HBP and reliever promptly HBP the first 2 batters she faced
Interestingly, only 1 of the 6 HBP scored
These teams had played the day before w/ GC winning 7-6 in 9 inning ITB (1 HBP by GC)

Don't know if it was a pitch inside/move them off the plate/don't let these hitters beat you strategy or just a freak control loss (no walks or WP in the game and only a total of 10 HBP in 11 games this season). Regardless, consider yourself lucky to have seen a tight 6 HBP game!

From your earlier post: I saw what you think, a battle for outside using inside attack. TSU let GCU pitchers hit 'em. It was a great game, I couldn't get away to the restroom, didn't want to miss a play. And I knew the top of TSU offense was getting hit, so I figured offensive strategy not to move out and take it. But GCU 3 and 4 pitchers aren't too doggone bad. Great game.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
From your earlier post: I saw what you think, a battle for outside using inside attack. TSU let GCU pitchers hit 'em. It was a great game, I couldn't get away to the restroom, didn't want to miss a play. And I knew the top of TSU offense was getting hit, so I figured offensive strategy not to move out and take it. But GCU 3 and 4 pitchers aren't too doggone bad. Great game.

Certainly not! And GCU seems to be playing quite the ambitious schedule and showing well.

PS And you're lucky to be seeing SB games at all - just got another 6" of snow here today.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Certainly not! And GCU seems to be playing quite the ambitious schedule and showing well.

PS And you're lucky to be seeing SB games at all - just got another 6" of snow here today.

GCU moved from DII to DI this year and are being boycotted from most southwest/west coast teams except Arizona. As I said before, they looked pretty solid and I think they're ready.

BTW, I was sweating all weekend, I think it was 85 degrees all weekend long during the Hillenbrand Invite in Tucson.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I just heard the Nebraska announcer say in Game 1 of the Regionals that there were 5 HBP in the first matchup this year of the Kansas - Nebraska series, a battle for the inside.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan