MaxPrep's Top 25 HS teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There are always comments about HS ball this time of year. But, take my word on it...Norco and Lakewood Ranch are as good as any TB team in the US.

Full article: MaxPrep's Top 25

1. Lakewood Ranch (Bradenton, Fla.)
Coach
: T.J. Goelz
2019: 30-1, lost in the 8A state championship game
Players to watch: Avery Goelz, 1B, Sr. (Florida); Claire Davidson, P/OF, Sr. (Duke); Kali Reis, SS, Sr. (Florida); Payton Kinney, P, Sr. (UConn); McKenzie Clark, C, Sr. (Clemson).
Outlook: The Mustangs have a potential starting lineup with nine Division I commits, and a few more coming off the bench. They return eight of nine starters and added additional pieces. Lakewood Ranch has experience, talent, power, pitching and defense.

2. Norco (Calif.)
Coach:
Richard Robinson
2019: 31-1, Southern Section Division 1 champions
Players to watch: Sarah Willis, P, Sr. (Washington); Stevie Hansen, P, Jr. (Oregon), Senior Kyleigh Sand, SS, Sr. (Louisiana Lafayette); Abby Dayton, OF, So. (Top 100 in Class of 2022).
Outlook: The defending 2019 MaxPreps National Champions return a ton talent, including two of the nation's top pitchers in Willis and Hansen.

3. Foothill (Pleasanton, Calif.)
Coach:
Matt Sweeney
2019: 28-0, CIF North Coast Section Division 1 champions
Players to watch: Nicole May P, Sr. (Oklahoma); Courtney Beaudin, C, Sr. (UCLA); Hailey Hayes, IF, Sr. (Boise State).
Outlook: The pitcher-catcher combo of May and Beaudin is one that most college coaches would want right now on their starting lineup. May went 24-0 in the circle last spring, while Beaudin hit .439.

4. O'Connor (Phoenix)
Coach:
Melissa Hobson
2019: 24-6, Class 6A state champions.
Players to watch: Rylee Holtorf, IF, Jr. (Washington); Jocelyn Erickson, C, So. (Oklahoma); Danielle Wilson, P, Sr. (13-0, 2.08 ERA in 2019).
Outlook: The defending champs return with Holtorf, who hit .551 last year and is considered one of the top players in the Class of 2021. The Eagles also return Oklahoma commit Erickson and ace Wilson.

5. Chino Hills (Calif.)
Coach:
Mike Southworth
2019: 28-5, lost in quarterfinals of Southern Section Division 1 playoffs
Players to watch: Kayla Chavez, IF, Jr. (2019 MaxPreps Sophomore All-American); Kiki Estrada, IF, So. (Arkansas); Kendall Mangel, P, Jr. (Nebraska).
Outlook: The Huskies return a ton of young talent. Mangel went 24-5 in the circle and struck out 102 batters. Chino Hills hit .409 as a team and clubbed 63 home runs, a number the Huskies could top this spring.

6. Winter Springs (Fla.)
Coach:
Mark Huaman
2019: 31-0, Class 8A state champions
Players to watch: Aynslie Furbush, UTIL, Sr. (Ole Miss); Megan Hagge, P, Jr. (Dartmouth); Kennedi Gaton, IF, Sr. (.458, 5 HR, .500 OBP).
Outlook: The Bears went 31-0 in 2019 and finished No. 3 in the MaxPreps Final Top 50. Furbush returns to the circle where she went 16-0. She also hit 12 home runs.

7. Williamsville East (East Amherst, N.Y.)
Coach:
Chris Durr
2019: 27-0, Class A state champions
Players to watch: Summer Clark, P, Sr. (Missouri); Ella Wesolowski, C, Fr. (Starter as an eighth-grader); Julia Warszawski, UT, Jr. (.415 batting average); Abbie Stellrecht, UT, Jr. (.409).
Outlook: It was a special year in 2019 for the Lady Flames, finishing 27-0, winning the Class A title and ending 10th nationally. MaxPreps All-American pitcher and Missouri commit Clark returns for her junior year.

8. Coral Springs Charter (Coral Springs, Fla.)
Coach:
Mark Montimurro
2019: 29-1, Class 5A state champions
Players to watch: Brianna Godfrey, P, So. (6A-2A Pitcher of the Year); Cassidy Crump, P, Sr. (Florida International University); Kiara Miekle, OF, Sr. (.561, .623 OBP).
Outlook: The pitching combo of Godfrey and Crump is as good a 1-2 punch as you can ask for in the state. The team finished with a 28-game win streak.

9. Hartsville (S.C.)
Coach:
Tommy Garrison
2019: 29-0, Class 4A state champions
Players to watch: Alyssa Poston, P, So. (20-0, 1.01 ERA, 171 strikeouts); Abi Stokes, UT, Sr. (Morning News Softball Player of the Year); Blaze MacArthur, OF, Sr. (Queens University of Charlotte).
Outlook: After a perfect record and a Class 4A championship, Hartsville may actually be better in 2020. Stokes hit .495 and also went 9-0 in the circle. MaxPreps Freshman All-American Alyssa Poston is back for her sophomore year after going 20- last year.

10. Shadow Ridge (Las Vegas)
Coach:
Julia Meyn
2019: 31-2, Class 4A state champions
Players to watch: Jasmine Martin, P, Sr. (UNLV); Hailey Morrow, UT, So. (.449, 34 RBI, 6 HR); Sydney Morgan, C, Sr. (.411, 24 RBI, 3 HR).
Outlook: The Mustangs are coming off the school's first state title and a 31-2 record. UNLV commit Martin is one of several key returners back for Shadow Ridge.

11. Hoover (Clendenin, W. Va.)
Coach:
Missy Smith
2019: 34-1, Class AA state champions
Players to watch: Delani Bucker, P, Sr. (Appalachian State); Presley McGee, P, Sr. (11-0, 0.82 ERA, 121 Ks); Grayson Buckner, MIF/P, So. (.427, 37 RBI, 6 HR).
Outlook: The 2019 Huskies went 35-1, finished Top 25 nationally and won a third-straight Class A championship. Bucker is back after posting a 20-1 overall record in the circle while also batting .495.

12. Great Oak (Temecula, Calif.)
Coach:
David Mercado
2019: 26-4-1, Southern Section Division 1 runner up
Players to watch: Sara Kinch, C, Sr. (Minnesota); Ramsey Suarez, 3B, So. (UCLA); Quincee Lilio, 2B, Jr. (Oklahoma).
Outlook: The Wolfpack ended 2019 hot, winning seven-straight before falling Norco in the Southern Section Division 1 championship game. They return MaxPreps Freshman All-American Suarez, who hit nine home runs last spring.

13. Trenton (Fla.)
Coach:
Todd Bryant
2019: 27-0, Class 1A state champions
Players to watch: Darian Ingram, P, Jr. (Florida Atlantic); Hallie Bryant, SS, Sr. (University of South Florida); Adrian Ingram, 2B, Jr. (.475, .544 OBP, 20 RBI).
Outlook: Things look promising once again for Coach Bryant and his squad. Ingram has been on the varsity team since she was in the seventh grade, and has won 66 games total while going 27-0 last year.

14. Donovan Catholic (Toms River, N.J.)
Coach:
Debbie Schwartz
2019: 30-2, New Jersey Tournament of Champions winner
Players to watch: Karina Gaskins, IF, Sr. (Notre Dame); Jayda Kearney, OF, Sr. (Georgia); Kayla Roncin, OF, Sr. (Boston University).
Outlook: The state's top team last year looks to repeat in 2020. Notre Dame commit Gaskins will be back as NJ.Com's Player of the Year and Gatorade award winner hit .642 with 19 home runs last spring.

15. Male (Louisville, Ky.)
Coach:
Josh Bloomer
2019: 39-0, Kentucky state champion
Players to watch: Lily Davis, C, So. (.454, 9 HR, 37 RBI); Kelsie Houchens, P, Sr. (Western Kentucky); Megan Konermann, 1B, Jr. (.420, 12 HR, 41 RBI).
Outlook: The Bulldogs finished 39-0 last season and ended up No. 4 overall in the MaxPreps Final Top 50 Softball Rankings. Male returns Class of 2020 catcher Davis and star pitcher Houchens.

16. Angleton (Texas)
Coach
: Cindy Rubio
2019: 40-2, Class 5A state champions
Players to watch: Danieca Coffey, SS, Sr. (LSU); Mia Scott, 2B, Jr. (Texas A&M); Avery Church, P, Sr. (7-0, 1.74 ERA).
Outlook: The Wildcats graduated several key players but this team reloads with talent. Angleton may have the top middle infield in the country with Coffey and Scott.

17. Huntley (Ill.)
Coach
: Mark Petryniec
2019: 35-6, Class 4A state champions
Players to watch: Briana Bower, P, Jr. (Mississippi State); Teagan O’Rilley, 3B/C, Sr. (Butler).
Outlook: Junior pitcher Bower struck out the last batter as Huntley defeated St. Charles East last spring to win the school's first state title. The Mississippi State commit is back after a 27-5 sophomore season and a 1.06 ERA.

18. New Palestine (Ind.)
Coach
: Ed Marcum
2019: 29-3, Class 3A champions
Players to watch: Micahela Jones, SS, Sr. (Maryland); Same Booe, P, Jr. (Louisville); Kaylea Bullock, P, Sr. (DePauw University).
Outlook: The Dragons seek a fourth-straight state title in 2020. In their final eight games of 2019, New Palestine outscored opponents 89-6. Maryland commit Jones and Louisville-bound Booe lead a talented cast.

19. Escanaba (Mich.)
Coach
: Gary Salo
2019: 34-3, D2 state champions
Players to watch: Gabi Salo, P, Sr. (Wisconsin); Nicole Kamin, 1B, Sr. (Returning All State).
Outlook: The Eskymos enter 2020 seeking a third-straight D2 title with Wisconsin signee Salo back for her senior campaign. She went 26-2 last spring and struck out 351 batters on the way to being named Michigan State Player of the Year.

20. Garfield (Seattle)
Coach
: Ken Simpson
2019: 28-2, Class 3A state champions
Players to watch: Nicola Simpson, P/UTIL, Jr. (Tennessee); Serena Cunningham, Sr. (.500, .570 OBP, 23 RBI); Juno Shantz, OF, Sr. (.404, 35 RBI, 6 HR).
Outlook: The Bulldogs won the 3A title in 2019, a first for a Seattle public school. They lost Kaia Simpson to graduation, but still have the services of Nicola Simpson, a 2021 pitcher who finished 9-1 overall with 190 strikeouts and also batted .543.

21. Pinnacle (Phoenix)
Coach
: Bobby Pena
2019: 25-4, Class 6A state runner-up
Players to watch: Morgan Smith, P, Sr. (LSU); Reis Beuerlein, P, So. (10-0, 1.26 ERA, 104ks); Emma Bullard, SS, Sr. (.440, 24 RBI).
Outlook: The Pioneers fell 6-4 to O'Connor in the 6A championship game. LSU commit Smith and the rest of the Pinnacle returners know what it’s like to be so close to winning it all.

22. Lawrence Free State (Lawrence, Kan.)
Coach
: Lee Ice
2019: 23-2, 6A state champions
Players to watch: Tatum Clopton, P, Jr. (Oklahoma State); Sara Roszak, UT, Jr. (Kansas); Georgia Rea, IF, Jr. (First Team All State Kansas 6A); Jasmine Brixius, UT, So. (All State Kansas).
Outlook: Oklahoma State commit and Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year award winner Clopton is back for her junior year. The MaxPreps All-American led the Firebirds to a 23-2 record and second-straight 6A state championship.

23. Masuk (Monroe, Conn.)
Coach
: Leigh Barone
2019: 26-1, Class L state champions
Players to watch: Madison Procyk, P, Sr. (Amherst); Emily Lange, OF, Sr. (hit above .500); Kaitlyn Welch, IF, Jr. (hit above .500).
Outlook: Won its second-straight Class L title in 2019 and finished as a national Top 25 team. The Panthers return All-State pitcher and Amherst commit Procyk.

24. Bradshaw Mountain (Prescott Valley, Ariz.)
Coach
: Sharon Haese
2019: 34-3, lost in 4A semifinals
Players to watch: Caitlynn Neal, P, Sr. (Nebraska); Jacie Hambrick, P, Sr. (Grand Canyon University); Madisen Duryea, OF, Sr. (Dixie State).
Outlook: The Bears return major weapons, starting with pitchers Neal and Hambrick. The two combined to go 34-3 and struck out 389 batters. Senior outfielder Duryea hit 13 home runs last spring.

25. Fairhope (Ala.)
Coach
: Charles Nelson
2019: 41-6, lost in 7A state playoffs
Players to watch: Alea Johnson, P, So. (LSU); Bella Cabral, SS, Fr. (will be a key player), Bella Wiggins, OF, Jr. (.461, 44 RBI).
Outlook: LSU commit Johnson went 24-2 in the circle with a .032 ERA. She pitched three no hitters, which included a perfect game in 2019.

Mar 4, 2018
I can only speak for the area I live in.

New Palestine in Indiana, will not be the top team in Indiana. New Palestine moved up to 4a this year for softball which means that they will be playing against the big dogs in the playoffs. No more beating up on little schools for new Palestine.

Apr 20, 2015
I can only speak for the area I live in.

New Palestine in Indiana, will not be the top team in Indiana. New Palestine moved up to 4a this year for softball which means that they will be playing against the big dogs in the playoffs. No more beating up on little schools for new Palestine.
New Palestine has always played a 4a heavy non conference schedule even going out of state to play schools like Louisville Male. The only little schools NP beats up on are forced on them due to conference play. They lost several division 1 players to graduation and lost a huge bat to ohio state but they return a division 1 committed pitcher that's a Jr, as well as at least 3 other p5 division 1 commits so don't count them out. They may not win state this year but they will have a great season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
7. Williamsville East (East Amherst, N.Y.)
Coach:
Chris Durr
2019: 27-0, Class A state champions
Players to watch: Summer Clark, P, Sr. (Missouri); Ella Wesolowski, C, Fr. (Starter as an eighth-grader); Julia Warszawski, UT, Jr. (.415 batting average); Abbie Stellrecht, UT, Jr. (.409).
Outlook: It was a special year in 2019 for the Lady Flames, finishing 27-0, winning the Class A title and ending 10th nationally. MaxPreps All-American pitcher and Missouri commit Clark returns for her junior year.
Summer Clark is a student of Java.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Definitely cool to see Masuk on a list of national teams, they are excellent and extremely well coached. I wonder though, how much is this Maxpreps just spreading the geographical love a little? I mean, Masuk wasn't even the undisputed #1 in local polls in 2019 until the final week. I'd love to believe they could walk into a CA or FL tourney and hold their own, but I have my doubts.

Mar 28, 2014
Definitely cool to see Masuk on a list of national teams, they are excellent and extremely well coached. I wonder though, how much is this Maxpreps just spreading the geographical love a little? I mean, Masuk wasn't even the undisputed #1 in local polls in 2019 until the final week. I'd love to believe they could walk into a CA or FL tourney and hold their own, but I have my doubts.
It's all a guess. One big dartboard throw. They seem to put a lot of weight into how many D1 commitments a team has, which doesn't tell the whole story because as we all know, the 6th through 9th players in the lineup often make the difference.

Jul 1, 2019
New Palestine has always played a 4a heavy non conference schedule even going out of state to play schools like Louisville Male. The only little schools NP beats up on are forced on them due to conference play. They lost several division 1 players to graduation and lost a huge bat to ohio state but they return a division 1 committed pitcher that's a Jr, as well as at least 3 other p5 division 1 commits so don't count them out. They may not win state this year but they will have a great season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
We're set to play them 5-6-20 this year so pretty early on in the season, will have a better idea then. Lost 4-1 last year to them but considering how bad they beat up on most teams I'd say we faired pretty well. We're still looking solid against them with most of our better players returning this year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45