How do you teach around this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2012
Wait - I'm confused (don't let this surprise anyone)... My DD pitches with the Michelle Smith mechanics. What about it hurting them??? And learning a curve in HS??? Isn't the curve the 4th pitch they learn?? Does this only pertain to the curve ball?? And what should I be looking for so she doesn't get hurt???

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The rule was based on 'push down wrist snap' mechanics. I have some video of a pitcher at a mid major college who looks like a shortstop making a quick underhand throw to first. She has an extreme body lean to the pitching arm side, her shoulders are tilted to at least 45 degrees which hides her action. Her elbow is bent to 90 degrees right through release, when you see it in slo-mo it's mind blowing.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
from the 2013 rule book:

E. The delivery must be an underhanded motion with the hand below the hip and the wrist not farther
from the body than the elbow. If the underhanded arm movement is more than 12” away from the
parallel of the body, the pitch will be considered a sidearm pitch.

as mentioned by others, this is to prevent a sidearm pitch

does it say 12 " in the rule book?

Feb 5, 2010
1fingered,

look at a super slow motion of say Sarah Pauly, Cat, Finch, and any number of others. It is possible and can be done when thing are done correctly. It is all about mechanics, that being said you would have to have you arm out pretty darn far (side arm) for anyone to say anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole