How do you teach around this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
If the rule reads the wrist can not be further from the body than the elbow, how does one follow the teaching of Michelle S and Bill H to avoid infractions of this rule when teaching the pull down with the elbow and the whip?

Feb 5, 2010
It is all done with smoke and mirrors LOL In all seriousness good question but, I think you are over thinking what is happening, and the angles of the of the body when it happens. When things are done correctly, the arm and hand are very close to the body, in fact touching. Watch some of the super slow motion video and you will see where the arm really is when the whip takes place. You will see that there is really no space to worry about once the mechanic get better.

Dec 29, 2010
So true, oilf, here the umps basically want the ball in the middle of the plate, put it belt high like a tee.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I guess you have to keep it as close your body, as possible which is what most teach, so some of these should be ignored, but when they are at coaches assoc meetings and display the opposite?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I don't know the rule, but I'm thinking it was originally designed to keep the windup/delivery underhand as opposed to sidearm or submarine (like in baseball).

To me it's physically impossible for the pitchers wrist and elbow to be the same distance from the body due to the natural angle of the lower arm to the upper arm when palm is facing forward. the elbow is always closer. I have seen a great variety of angles, some give me the willies because it looks unnatural (to me) but it is natural. It's nothing they did, they were born that way.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I don't know the rule, but I'm thinking it was originally designed to keep the windup/delivery underhand as opposed to sidearm or submarine (like in baseball).

To me it's physically impossible for the pitchers wrist and elbow to be the same distance from the body due to the natural angle of the lower arm to the upper arm when palm is facing forward. the elbow is always closer. I have seen a great variety of angles, some give me the willies because it looks unnatural (to me) but it is natural. It's nothing they did, they were born that way.

I'm amazed some one else finally saw that
, i thought maybe my elbow and fore arm was the only strange body part:), the only thing that is so obvious is a true baseball side armer, which i have never seen in fastpitch, but as you say, if it is to keep from bending the rule, one has to stay close to the body, be nice if the "pros" were not showing this at meetings?

The rule states the "WRIST CAN NOT BE FURTHER FROM THE BODY THAN THE ELBOW" guess what?
tks

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

I'm amazed some one else finally saw that
, i thought maybe my elbow and fore arm was the only strange body part:), the only thing that is so obvious is a true baseball side armer, which i have never seen in fastpitch, but as you say, if it is to keep from bending the rule, one has to stay close to the body, be nice if the "pros" were not showing this at meetings?

The rule states the "WRIST CAN NOT BE FURTHER FROM THE BODY THAN THE ELBOW" guess what?
tks

The first set of rules was written in stone, well before slo mo video, so maybe Comp can confirm exactly what they were thinking back then.

Sep 10, 2013
from the 2013 rule book:

E. The delivery must be an underhanded motion with the hand below the hip and the wrist not farther
from the body than the elbow. If the underhanded arm movement is more than 12” away from the
parallel of the body, the pitch will be considered a sidearm pitch.

as mentioned by others, this is to prevent a sidearm pitch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi