How do you know the bat has gone dead?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
General, perhaps stup1d question, but how do I know if her bat has gone dead, and generally how fast do they degrade when they do?

Easton Synge, about a year old. First composite for us. I've read that many composites are good for about 70 games. Rec-ball + Summer and start of Fall, we're probably near that number, plus practice time.

She's not getting the distance she used to, complaining recently about stinging her hands. She claims she's making good contact, and the trajectories look correct. First step is back to hitting coach, in case she's wrong.

As my own test, I intend to go out with her this week and do long tee, switching between the Synge and Mystique(same weight, similar balance), and comparing distance. I'd have her do it blindfolded if I could, but she refused ;-)

Ideas, tests? I did search first, but if this is already covered elsewhere, my apologies.
Thanks in advance.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
That bat should crack, before it goes dead. It is not that old, too me. I have never heard that a bat dies after 70 games. That isn't very many hits.

If it is stinging her hands, I would check her grip and point of contact with the ball. Her bat should be getting hotter and hotter not the other way around.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
My DD's bat seemed to die recently after only 9 months. Turned out it had a crack in it. I'd check the bat carefully. May still be under warranty.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I have never heard that a bat dies after 70 games. That isn't very many hits.
And now that I've repeated it, I can't find that quote either.

If it is stinging her hands, I would check her grip and point of contact with the ball.
Are you thinking death grip, or something else? Would make sense if she's strangling it that power would suffer too.

I will check for cracks in any case.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
And now that I've repeated it, I can't find that quote either.

Are you thinking death grip, or something else? Would make sense if she's strangling it that power would suffer too.

I will check for cracks in any case.
Too loose of a grip will cause the handle to vibrate in the hands and absorb some of the energy deadening the ball

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Too loose of a grip will cause the handle to vibrate in the hands and absorb some of the energy deadening the ball

To swing faster, you have to swing looser. As long as they're gripping the bat properly (in the fingers, not the palms) and gripping with enough pressure so that they don't throw the bat when they swing fast, there shouldn't be any vibration issue as long as contact is not made by the end cap or on the taper/handle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32