Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
At 18u we always ended hitting sessions with live pitching. I like the pitchers to do a round just throwing fastballs and then a session or two trying to get hitters out. The problems are logistical, right? Doing it on a live field can go really slow just in terms of keeping everyone involved and retrieving balls. Doing it in a tunnel can be dangerous or at least uncomfortable for the pitchers. And even in a tunnel where ball retrieval isn't an issue it can be tough for hitters to get good work if the pitcher isn't somewhat consistent (or if they are too dominant).

I'd be interested in what others think and how they work in live pitching efficiently.

Feb 26, 2010
West Chicago Il
The way I train my hitters is to have a machine that throws the same pitches That they will see in game situations and better movement, also I throw live. I only work on movement when I feel the hitter is ready.

Feb 26, 2010
West Chicago Il
At 18u we always ended hitting sessions with live pitching. I like the pitchers to do a round just throwing fastballs and then a session or two trying to get hitters out. The problems are logistical, right? Doing it on a live field can go really slow just in terms of keeping everyone involved and retrieving balls. Doing it in a tunnel can be dangerous or at least uncomfortable for the pitchers. And even in a tunnel where ball retrieval isn't an issue it can be tough for hitters to get good work if the pitcher isn't somewhat consistent (or if they are too dominant).

I'd be interested in what others think and how they work in live pitching efficiently.
When I feel the hitter is ready for movement I have a machine that can throw all the different p
The biggest challenge in this...Who is going to throw those pitches?
Having a machine to throw all those pitches

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
ATEC 3 wheeled machine. $2499.00 It can throw all the pitches but if the balls are not like new, they are inconsistent and can even get dangerous. At 12u level just give me a juggs machine with decent balls.

Sep 29, 2014
At 18U that would be hard....at 12U it's why I learned to pitch. I could throw several of those knee high outside corner pitches and tell them to go hit that pitch then if its taking too long throw a couple fastballs down the middle to get to the next batter. I'm not asking my pitchers to throw 100 meatballs at BP and I'm not having my pitcher strikeout the bottom half of my lineup three times over either. I would usually try and use the machine for first half of practice then doing game type simulation I would have my pitcher run through the line up once switch pitchers then once more through line up then I would finish out practice until we were done. It does get a little hard rotating out plus you have to make sure your pitchers warm up so that takes time and coordination cause you need a catcher for her too. ...but yeah 12U was probably my limit ( I just learned enough to be dangerous)...I wasn't the best pitcher on our team :( but I was probably a solid #2.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00