Hitting two handed fly balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
there was a meme floating around awhile ago, in summary, "show me a team who's coach hit grounders 1 handed, and I'll show you a team that loses games". LOL

It's all in the toss and reps. Also, if right handed, learn to hold bat in left hand entire time and toss righty. 1-2000 reps and you'll get pretty good.
Absolutely love the one handed comment...

I throw with my left hand, seems easier to get consistent tosses out front and up high, YMMV!

Jan 8, 2019
I saw a practice from a D1 school a while back, and after the ACs set up their part of the practice, while the athletes were finishing their setup and then warming up, all of the ACs played “fungo golf” where they picked target “holes” around the area (on and off the field) and mixed in a bunch of hitting for distance (driving) and for accuracy (putting). Holes were things like “closest to a particular pole on the fence” or “see that dark spot in the grass” or “leave it at the edge of the dirt” or “the rock on top of the hill past the OF fence.” They had a blast, and were working on skills. I imagine there was a standing bet going on, too.

Nov 18, 2015
There's still some value to be had with a top-spin line drive - not for every rep, but at around 12-14U, it's good to show the OFs how the different spins affect ball flight. IMO, most important "read" for an OF is to understand the ball flight on an opposite field fly balls (RF from a RHB, LF from a LHB). You can get that spin one-handed, but I've found it easier (for me, at least), to get the ball to tail using two hands. However - to the "one-handers" credit - as a RHB, I can't duplicate the effect to LF.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
During my coaching days I was the one handed fungo coach. It was easier when the girls were swinging 32" bats. I could hit the ball over the fence one handed, but I found out later it caused some strain on my labrum. Had to do therapy for 6 weeks and from then on started doing 2 handed. Like others have said throw up a little higher and hit out front is the key for fly balls to the OF. You know what's funny or sad. Watching a newly graduated college player trying to hit fungo to OF's. Whiff, whiff, ground balls.

Oct 12, 2020
I have never seen a ball with two hands. If I did, I would probably panic and hit it, too.

Everybody knows hands are part of the bat, not the ball.

Serious advice: tennis racket.
If ever there was a time for the rimshot emoji...
there was a meme floating around awhile ago, in summary, "show me a team who's coach hit grounders 1 handed, and I'll show you a team that loses games". LOL

It's all in the toss and reps. Also, if right handed, learn to hold bat in left hand entire time and toss righty. 1-2000 reps and you'll get pretty good.
I'm left handed and worked today holding the bat with my right hand. It does work well.
During my coaching days I was the one handed fungo coach. It was easier when the girls were swinging 32" bats. I could hit the ball over the fence one handed, but I found out later it caused some strain on my labrum. Had to do therapy for 6 weeks and from then on started doing 2 handed.
While I prefer to not look like a dope, a big reason for making the change is biceps tendonitis. Hitting with one arm flares it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy