Hitting against live pitching in practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2017
I'm trying to find out if many teams have their hitters face live pitching in practice? If so, how often and what age group? I currently help coach a 12u travel team and we do not see live pitching at all in practice and i'm just curious if this is the norm. I feel like our hitters never really get going offensively until their 3rd or 4th tournament and I see other teams that seem to really have it together at their first tournament.

Aug 20, 2017
I do two things every practice that benefit both hitters and pitchers. We throw live bullpens. We pop down 3 pitching rubbers. We call pitches and have hitters perform 3 hard takes working on load/stride timing and maintaining posture followed by live bunting. We try to end practice with a live pitcher and infield only (due to number of players) and work all offensive and defensive stuff. It’s good game prep. I’m blessed with 4-5 solid pitchers and 3 good catchers.

May 12, 2016
Just my personal opinion, nothing I hate more than batting practices in cages with machines. They have their place, giving the kids a couple extra reps or warm ups.. but that's about it. Even hitting machines where the ball feeder emulates a win mill type motion before feeding the ball.. still not the same. They do not prepare kids for what they will see in a game. So practices with "just" machines is a mistake IMO. If you have a coach/parent who can pitch accurately(has to be accurate or you are just wasting time) then it would be a good idea to blend in to your practice. If not, I prefer front toss over machines. Key to front toss is not to pitch too hard from too close. You want the hitter to read the delivery and the pitch.. this would emulate a game scenario. Mix in some change ups(just change of speed) and move the ball around, inside/outside/high/low. I don't like using the team pitchers in hitting practice. Again just my personal opinion.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
BEST THING HITTING OFF LIVE PITCHING !!!
Read the pitch - Timing
Read the pitch - Timing

ENCOURAGE MAKING IT PART OF EVERY TEAMS TRAINING PLAN !!!

Atleast 50 to 70 % of travel ball practices would include hitting off live pitching.
( Pitchers throwing pitches with spin and locations)

Good for the pitchers also to throw with batters in the box.
Develop confidence throwing inside!

Imo, dont see enough teams applying live pitching !
Hmmm? Maybe thats what friendlies are for?!!!

Do see hitting stations with gadgets tho...
Gadgets that dont get used in the box...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
I think it depends on the machine. Real good machines are very useful. Emulating speed is crucial and if the girls can't hit off the machine then they are unlikely to hit off a pitcher. So I use the machine as a tool to move the player further along. Once the player shows proficiency on the machine then they can get more live arm action.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I think the closer you can approximate game conditions in practice, the better off your players and team will be. My DD is a pitcher (14U) and I want her throwing at least some live BP at every practice. If you are smart, you can balance the workload among the various pitchers so that they are not being overworked. For example, you can create a batter limit or a pitch limit for each pitcher. Pitchers are up there trying to strike the batter out—throwing to spots and using different pitches. I would not have them up there throwing meatballs “to help the hitters” because that is what you’ll be training them to do in an actual game.

The only issue I have seen with live BP, particularly at younger ages, is if the pitcher cannot consistently throw strikes or the catcher is still figuring things out and balls are constantly hitting the backstop. That scenario is frustrating for everyone and not efficient. In that case, I would do front toss. However, it might suggest that your pitchers need additional time in the bullpen...or that your team needs some new pitchers.

May 12, 2016
I don't mind a scrimmage in practice for the pitcher and hitter.. but I don't think having your pitchers throwing BP is good idea. In BP you want your hitters to see some big fat meatballs in the beginning. That just makes sense, let them rake for a bit. I wouldn't want my picthers throwing those meatballs so they can get pounded over and over again. Take your pitchers off to the side and let them work on their stuff. Let your hitters get their reps in with a non team pitcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi