Hitting against live pitching in practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If we can take examples from the top ...COLLEGES have pitchers throw live hitting bp.

Remember a pitcher from UCLA telling me at practice she threw many many drops as they had her continuously throwing drops to their hitters. Pitched on the roster at UCLA the same time frame as Lisa Fernandez. She didn't get as much game time in. But she said
"she felt like she contributed a lot by helping the batters be able to train hitting the down pitch."
Stephanie Swenson Brown

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Having your pitchers throw BP is a mixed bag and at the younger levels it is often not very productive. Pitchers are often afraid of hitting a teammate and will not throw enough strikes to make it worthwhile. Conversely if you have a fast pitcher who is a little wild your hitters will not be comfortable in the box and will start to bail as the pitch is delivered. When you get to 16U live BP can help, but who is it for? If your pitchers dominate that's not good for your hitters confidence or if your pitchers get crushed that's not helpful either. Having your pitchers throw meatballs is not good for the pitchers. If we have live BP it will be controlled in the sense that the pitchers and hitters will know what pitch is coming.

Jun 6, 2018
I don't mind a scrimmage in practice for the pitcher and hitter.. but I don't think having your pitchers throwing BP is good idea. In BP you want your hitters to see some big fat meatballs in the beginning. That just makes sense, let them rake for a bit. I wouldn't want my picthers throwing those meatballs so they can get pounded over and over again. Take your pitchers off to the side and let them work on their stuff. Let your hitters get their reps in with a non team pitcher.

Your hitters do not get any better hitting meatballs when it comes to real live games and your pitchers that throw meatballs shouldnt be pitching in real live games.

That is why I fully encourage the last part of practice (after the pitchers have gone through their warm ups and batters have done their stations) to have live hitting where my 4 pitchers each get 3 hitters. This is how all the girls get better, especially if you are older and playing PGF and higher quality where the meatball pitches are few and far between but great hitters learn how to hit even a good pitchers pitch for a hit or move a base runner.

May 12, 2016
Your hitters do not get any better hitting meatballs when it comes to real live games and your pitchers that throw meatballs shouldnt be pitching in real live games.

That is why I fully encourage the last part of practice (after the pitchers have gone through their warm ups and batters have done their stations) to have live hitting where my 4 pitchers each get 3 hitters. This is how all the girls get better, especially if you are older and playing PGF and higher quality where the meatball pitches are few and far between but great hitters learn how to hit even a good pitchers pitch for a hit or move a base runner.
The last part of practice that you are referring to is basically the same which I am referring to when I say "Scrimmage". The pitchers have done their thing, the hitters have gone through their stations. I just believe part of the hitters stations should be live pitching/front toss where the pitch is consistent.. with some meatballs. I want the hitters to work on the tee.. refining their mechanics. But I also what them seeing live pitch while reinforcing their mechanics. I don't want them to have to think too much about change ups, riseballs, etc while working reinforcing their mechanics. At this time I am not going to have my pitchers lay the ball in there for them so they can get blasted over and over.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Referencing developing players~
I like the batters seeing different pitches, movement & off speed.
Great visual & timing training!

It was the best as a player to have the opportunity.
Generally talented pitching is on a talented hitting team.
Should be training at the same competitive levels as eachother.
Even facing more challenging players is great!
Train to the next level!

For that matter for pitchers to face weak hitters in games does not provide challenge.
Maybe pumps their stats up...

Interesting tho batters facing weak pitchers can still provide visual & timing training....
Maybe a little irritating tho ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207