Hips or the Hands or both simultaneously(lets keep it simple)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I cannot speak for TM, but when some people refer to rotation, they are talking about rotation of the pelvic girdle. The actual muscles involved in that process are relatively small. It is only when you include some of the larger muscles that you start talking about an action that has any type of real power associated with it. When you include those muscles, in a sense the pelvic girdle is being turned, rather than turning on its own.

Larger muscles = Gluteus Maximus IMO. Largest muscle in the body and 4th strongest, one of its main functions is hip extension. The pulling of the front hip and pushing of the back hip (resulting in a powerful hip extension) can be and should be contributed to more than just the back leg IMO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Don't think anybody is promoting to not use your core.

I have team coaches that visit the cages that will occasionally demonstrate "hip action" to their teams. Many actually use their torso engine and I nod to them in confirmation. Others actually do use their hips, without their torso, causing me to wince and describe an alternative.

Those caught up in a horizontal mentality are handicapped ... and all the preaching of 'hips' won't save them.

May 12, 2016
I have team coaches that visit the cages that will occasionally demonstrate "hip action" to their teams. Many actually use their torso engine and I nod to them in confirmation. Others actually do use their hips, without their torso, causing me to wince and describe an alternative.

Those caught up in a horizontal mentality are handicapped ... and all the preaching of 'hips' won't save them.

How does somebody use their hips without using their torso engine? You mean they just shift their hips from front to back?

May 12, 2016
Easy ... they truly attempt to rotate their hips horizontally.

Right, but how do you do that without engaging other muscles. I mean hips are just joints, bones. In sports we always talk about hips.. I just assumed that most people understand we are talking about the supporting muscles.. not talking about you FFS, just clarifying what I mean when I talk about hips

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Right, but how do you do that without engaging other muscles. I mean hips are just joints, bones. In sports we always talk about hips.. I just assumed that most people understand we are talking about the supporting muscles.. not talking about you FFS, just clarifying what I mean when I talk about hips

I also assumed that we were having a discussion in which supporting muscles were being used to move the hips.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Julray ... there is a train of thought out there that one should attempt to rotate the hips horizontally in hope that this will then catch/pull/cause the upper torso to basically rotate horizontally. I don't subscribe to that mentality.

There is another train of thought that the torso rotation is not horizontal. Some of my hitters describe it as the torso rotating upwards ... and they are very good hitters.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Contract the obliques after fyb.

bGwQFVw.gif

9g62ozt.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck