Hips or the Hands or both simultaneously(lets keep it simple)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Whether he has a good understanding of it or not I don't know. But he actually said that some hitters have their foot more/closed than others. He actually mentioned Pujois. So for just that reason(foot closed vs open) alone I don't think we can discredit his knowledge, or what he was saying about this topic

Here is Pujols with his front heel landing such that his front foot is open ~45-degrees. The scissor action is still intact.

pujols-rear-footx.gif

May 12, 2016
Here is Pujols with his front heel landing such that his front foot is open ~45-degrees. The scissor action is still intact.

pujols-rear-footx.gif

So you believe Tewks doesn't understand this concept because he only alluded to those that have a closed front foot? He actually mentioned in his video that some of the hitters he referred to were more closed than others in that same video.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think the scissors movement is an effect. As is reverse rotation.

https://twitter.com/PeabodyBaseball/status/1093995347846680576

A while back someone posted a gather/hover drill video. That is a decent drill IMO.

I do something similar to this. I have hitters work on gather and hover forward off of a tee, off of front-toss, and off of a live arm.

I break the drill down into different 'feels'.

1: Inside edge along the rear foot. I have my hitters place a 'feel sensor' along the inside edge of their rear foot. We then perform the drill and 'feel' how the gather/hover results in a build-up of pressure along the inside edge of the rear foot.

2: Rear hip/glute binding action. I have my hitters place a 'feel sensor' in an area near their rear hip. We then perform the drill and 'feel' how the gather/hover results in a pressure build-up, i.e., a binding action, in the rear hip & glute area.

3: Rear hip flexor. I have my hitters place a 'feel sensor' in the rear hip flexor. We then perform the drill and 'feel' the deepening of the flexion.

There are more 'feel sensors', but the above should give the gist of how I perform the drill.

It is during #2 ... where the feel sensor is in the rear hip and glute area ... as the 'feel' of the binding action can be felt deepening ... that I tell my hitters to cherish that feel. I equate it to meeting my best friend (i.e., my wife) and knowing never to let that person go. Similarly, I don't want them to 'let go' of that binding feel. I want them to keep it ... to "stay in their legs" ... I want them to keep this tension build-up even as they launch their swing. It is when they begin doing this that they begin scissoring ... with zero request on my part that they scissor. On occasion a kid will notice the scissoring action and ask if it is okay ... my answer is 'yes'.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So you believe Tewks doesn't understand this concept because he only alluded to those that have a closed front foot? He actually mentioned in his video that some of the hitters he referred to were more closed than others in that same video.

IMO he remains in search for a better understanding of this particular action.

May 12, 2016
A while back someone posted a gather/hover drill video. That is a decent drill IMO.

I do something similar to this. I have hitters work on gather and hover forward off of a tee, off of front-toss, and off of a live arm.

I break the drill down into different 'feels'.

1: Inside edge along the rear foot. I have my hitters place a 'feel sensor' along the inside edge of their rear foot. We then perform the drill and 'feel' how the gather/hover results in a build-up of pressure along the inside edge of the rear foot.

2: Rear hip/glute binding action. I have my hitters place a 'feel sensor' in an area near their rear hip. We then perform the drill and 'feel' how the gather/hover results in a pressure build-up, i.e., a binding action, in the rear hip & glute area.

3: Rear hip flexor. I have my hitters place a 'feel sensor' in the rear hip flexor. We then perform the drill and 'feel' the deepening of the flexion.

There are more 'feel sensors', but the above should give the gist of how I perform the drill.

It is during #2 ... where the feel sensor is in the rear hip and glute area ... as the 'feel' of the binding action can be felt deepening ... that I tell my hitters to cherish that feel. I equate it to meeting my best friend (i.e., my wife) and knowing never to let that person go. Similarly, I don't want them to 'let go' of that binding feel. I want them to keep it ... to "stay in their legs" ... I want them to keep this tension build-up even as they launch their swing. It is when they begin doing this that they begin scissoring ... with zero request on my part that they scissor. On occasion a kid will notice the scissoring action and ask if it is okay ... my answer is 'yes'.

Always like to try it so I can feel it. When I focus on keeping that tension in my back hip/glute right into launch, I indeed do scissor. Well done FFS.

I posted this drill the other day, I believe this is what you are referring to. My DD and I use it every time she hits now..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k8NZZMjsag

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles