Hips or the Hands or both simultaneously(lets keep it simple)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This is the other which lacks any oblique contraction and forces lateral tilt.

UZOw7A5.gif

bGwQFVw.gif

9g62ozt.gif

May 12, 2016
"lacks any oblique contraction and forces lateral tilt"

This is where having an expert eye makes a difference, no doubt. How is this happening without is obliques being engaged, or better yet if he continued with this motion how does his obliques not get contracted? Whats the difference between lateral tilt being forced vs unforced?

Looks to me that his obliques are engaged for a moment, but of course he's not taking or checking a swing, he's just demoing, so they become disengaged..

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

This is where having an expert eye makes a difference, no doubt. How is this happening without is obliques being engaged, or better yet if he continued with this motion how does his obliques not get contracted? Whats the difference between lateral tilt being forced vs unforced?

Looks to me that his obliques are engaged for a moment, but of course he's not taking or checking a swing, he's just demoing, so they become disengaged..

IMO one continues to pull back using the back with a fused torso until the rear leg wins the TOW. While the other moves into a leveraged fyb position and in doing so the obliques are fully stretched and then contracted at go.

IOW's one focuses on the back while the other the obliques amongst the other supporting muscles.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Most view this as a hands to the ball push while some see it as the obliques being contracted which pulls on the hands. btw, I am sure it can be done both ways :cool:

L0trsSw.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The hip joints create movement, but the pelvis itself and the lower back is limited to actual range of motion.

giphy.gif

Where is most the movement taking place? Between the two horizontal lines on his mid back or even higher. So are we looking for hip rotation or shoulder rotation? Which one has the greater range of motion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd