Hips or the Hands or both simultaneously(lets keep it simple)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Right I understand that, TM says hips are passive, being rotated by rear leg. IMO, that's just a waste of such a powerful source of energy. I guess MLB'ers haven't learned to use their hips and core yet. Off season training, Single leg squats rear leg, forget core, :)

Jun 8, 2016
Right I understand that, TM says hips are passive, being rotated by rear leg. IMO, that's just a waste of such a powerful source of energy. I guess MLB'ers haven't learned to use their hips and core yet. Off season training, Single leg squats rear leg, forget core, :)

Don't think anybody is promoting to not use your core.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There are studies using the same person on just the rear leg and on just the front leg ... and the conclusion is different than what is suggested here.

The golfer with the faster clubhead swing. LOL Very few good golfers hit off their back leg. Most intentionally get over to their left side,post up and swing around front leg.

Jun 8, 2016
In golf the only thing that matters in terms of club head speed is what is the club head speed at impact..how long it takes to get to the ball matters not.
Same thing with hitting off the tee..However two guys with the same bat speed off the tee could have wildly different results when hitting a moving ball...
The reasons should be fairly obvious..

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Saw a recent Instagram post from TM. One of his followers said "Hips are rotating in that swing". TM replied that something else moved them. Later on he went on to explain that it was the back leg. Do people actually believe this? TM claims "Zero hip rotation" I believe in a synergy of major body parts causing a violent powerful action. Hips and core are definitely rotating.

First off, all movement requires muscular involvement. Bones (etc.) cannot move without the help of muscles. That said, ask yourself what muscles are involved in moving the hips. Then ask yourself what muscles TM and others are referring to when they talk about the rear leg. I think you may find there is some overlap here...

Hip muscles
The hip joint is surrounded by several muscles, including:

Gluteal muscles, located on the back of the hip (buttocks);
The adductor muscle on the inner thigh;
The iliopsoas muscle, which extends from the lower back to upper femur;
Quadriceps, a group of four muscles that comprise the front of the thigh; and
Hamstrings, a group of muscles that comprise the back of the thigh and extend to just below the knee.

May 12, 2016
Don't think anybody is promoting to not use your core.

Core is such a broad range on the body. When I speak of core I am talking about Glutes, obliques and Hips. I have some difficulty in understanding how the rear leg causes the hips to rotate without the glutes, hips and obliques powering that rotation. It just doesn't seem like an efficient use of power. I believe those muscles are active players in the rotational portion of the swing. I do not believe the rear leg turns the hips alone

May 12, 2016
First off, all movement requires muscular involvement. Bones (etc.) cannot move without the help of muscles. That said, ask yourself what muscles are involved in moving the hips. Then ask yourself what muscles TM and others are referring to when they talk about the rear leg. I think you may find there is some overlap here...

Hip muscles
The hip joint is surrounded by several muscles, including:

Gluteal muscles, located on the back of the hip (buttocks);
The adductor muscle on the inner thigh;
The iliopsoas muscle, which extends from the lower back to upper femur;
Quadriceps, a group of four muscles that comprise the front of the thigh; and
Hamstrings, a group of muscles that comprise the back of the thigh and extend to just below the knee.

See number post #47, I think I was composing at the same time you posted this, :). Regarding TM, he can be very vague, but I've seen many posts where he says the back leg turns the hips. If he's referring to other overlapping muscles when he says "rear leg" then he must be trying to create a lot of confusion

Jun 8, 2016
Regarding TM, he can be very vague, but I've seen many posts where he says the back leg turns the hips.

His theory is you load up the hip and back and then once the barrel is turned "rearward" the extra stretch it creates causes the tug of war between the rear leg and hip/back to be won by the rear leg. That isn't the same as saying the knee/back leg turns the hips, at least in my eyes. Just laying out
my understanding of TM's stuff, not offering an opinion one way or the other ;)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
See number post #47, I think I was composing at the same time you posted this, :). Regarding TM, he can be very vague, but I've seen many posts where he says the back leg turns the hips. If he's referring to other overlapping muscles when he says "rear leg" then he must be trying to create a lot of confusion

I cannot speak for TM, but when some people refer to rotation, they are talking about rotation of the pelvic girdle. The actual muscles involved in that process are relatively small. It is only when you include some of the larger muscles that you start talking about an action that has any type of real power associated with it. When you include those muscles, in a sense the pelvic girdle is being turned, rather than turning on its own.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32