Hip Bruising Due to Elbow "Plant"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Good point Rick. It sounded strange to me to have that palm up rule they have on the board, and now we have an injury due to it.

No SCREWBALL...........We do not have an injury "due to the palm up position" you drama queen..........There is some soreness to a student who probably practices more then any 10 people on this board, because her PC told his student to "PLANT" her elbow into her side...........

What Rick said was that maintaining a palm up position TOO FAR into the release zone might cause a problem........

You really think he'd advocate against something that HIS OWN KID DOES NATURALLY?...........

2nrilty.gif

Why are you here? You are NOT even a pitching coach........You have no children who pitch........You are just here to spew/spit negative comments into EVERY THREAD you decide to reply to..........I'm really not sure what your motivation is except to "troll" the boards for your own pleasure...........

You get a big "thumbs down" yet again IMO...........

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Oh man! Something else to observe. Is this palm up something that should be done. I haven't looked at the position of her hand at all at this point after the release. My dd usually turns her hand over right away..palm down...is this something I should worry about?

Is this a non teach? (What Sarah is doing)

Jul 14, 2008
Oh man! Something else to observe. Is this palm up something that should be done. I haven't looked at the position of her hand at all at this point after the release. My dd usually turns her hand over right away..palm down...is this something I should worry about?

Is this a non teach? (What Sarah is doing)

Whoa there guy.........Palm up AFTER release isn't something being discussed. We're talking about palm up at 9:00..........You're looking at a 600fps clip that stops just after release. The purpose of that clip was to show palm up at 9:00.......

This is Sarah throwing with natural I/R...........

2ag9ts1.gif

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
In another thread regarding universal arm speed, Starsnuffer mentions something about hip development and the placement of the arm at 6oclock. I never really thought about the fact that my DD's hips are probably wider than they were when we began pitching a year ago. Could the soreness of her hip be simply due to her keeping the same arm circle she has had for a few months but since her hips are wider the arm is now making contact where before it wasnt? Im not sure but it may have something to do with it.....

Jul 14, 2008
In the spirit of Screwballs (OILF) negativity.........

I've often wondered if being a female might contribute to injuries caused when the arm goes around in a circle........

Now it seems we have proof!

Sheeesh..........

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Whoa there guy.........Palm up AFTER release isn't something being discussed. We're talking about palm up at 9:00..........You're looking at a 600fps clip that stops just after release. The purpose of that clip was to show palm up at 9:00.......

This is Sarah throwing with natural I/R...........

2ag9ts1.gif

WHEW.....Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
grow a pair and chime in next time....you don't get credit for lurking and then claiming an idea....:)...gotta get into the mix and take a few lumps. BM and JS alone could write a novel with how may times they've corrected my ill advised attempts to test my knowledge against the big boys.

lol..........ok ok

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
No SCREWBALL...........We do not have an injury "due to the palm up position" you drama queen..........There is some soreness to a student who probably practices more then any 10 people on this board, because her PC told his student to "PLANT" her elbow into her side...........

What Rick said was that maintaining a palm up position TOO FAR into the release zone might cause a problem........

You really think he'd advocate against something that HIS OWN KID DOES NATURALLY?...........

2nrilty.gif

Why are you here? You are NOT even a pitching coach........You have no children who pitch........You are just here to spew/spit negative comments into EVERY THREAD you decide to reply to..........I'm really not sure what your motivation is except to "troll" the boards for your own pleasure...........

You get a big "thumbs down" yet again IMO...........

I just read why you call OILF Screwball now!

I get it now. Old name was Screwball?

I thought you just called him/her a screwball!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Maybe those who cause pitchers to inflict these bruises to the proper authorities for legal action. I suppose achy muscles could be thought of as injury as well.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The part that lost me was how you are connecting the arm hitting the hip to the weight transfer of the rear foot at launch and stride length. It is one of those situations where I can smell truth in it but cannot connect the dots yet. It'll happen, but I will need to throw a few tomorrow to feel it. It seems like it relates to something I see with my DD. I called it the arm circle getting off plane and this is true, but that might not be the root cause, the root cause might be that she is off balance to the left from the beginning. When I see her plane getting too inside it is accompanied by her upper torso leaning to the left from the rearview. But I have been attributing it to her using her body lean to purposefully generate arm circle power and not to her being off balance from the start (which may be the case). I have been trying to get her glove side higher to closely mirror the throwing arm action...think in terms of an X with the two upper arms collapsing in sync. My thinking is that the glove side weight needs to act as a counterbalance to generate power against while keeping her torso balanced, instead of the glove being weak and using body lean to generate the same power. But I will have to look at this issue in a new light with your input in mind.

Javasource-3256
JJ-0

We saw the new PC last night and he immediately keyed in on the fact that DD is getting open too soon i.e. she is shifting her weight at push off into a semi open position, then when she goes to pull the ball up from say 2 o clock to 10 o clock, the pulling motion OPENS her up TOO much and her arm ends up behind her. Hence the occasional hip hit and the Tilt to the left etc.

He had her change a simple thought, drive to the catcher and do not try to get open, let the arm circle open you naturally. I watched from behind and the left tilt was gone immediately, she has not hit her hip once, and bonus....her motion looks smoother and more powerful. Then he said to forget about the figure 4 finish the other PC had tried to drill into her and just let her rear hip do whatever she feels it needs to do to initiate the chain up the body. He had her do a sort of kick drill to the catcher to get the feel. End result of these two little adjustments is she did not hit her hip, she gets a little of that open/close hip wiggle I was referring to in another thread and her inside misses are literally GONE....everything is biased about a foot to the outside now, and she lands more naturally at 45. We'll see if this is a fluke or if such a small change can make such a huge difference, but I was impressed with him and with JS being to identify that something like a hip hit might be caused by something as early as the launch. I'll try to get some video, its a subtle change but I have been looking at it so closely now for a few weeks that it looks huge to me.

edit- Boomer's DD does not appear to have the same root cause as my hip hitter though. She definitely does not open up to much/ too early. in fact I really can't see any flaws in that second video.

edit edit- I wanted to post a pic of her bruise but I was afraid I would be reported to CPS.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad