Hip Bruising Due to Elbow "Plant"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
[video=youtube_share;OnPZEKadUfU]http://youtu.be/OnPZEKadUfU[/video]

We pitched a little today before basketball and focused on not planting the elbow but just concentrating on allowing the arm to whip. We also focused on shortening the stride a little and stabilizing the landing. DD says she never felt the hard "plant" into her hip as she has felt recently. With the exception of the glove getting hung up in the net due to the swimming :), i think she did pretty well. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
I'll stick to my guns.... when she tries to jump out 10'...she's all over the place..... when she stays within her comfort zone.. she's as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I'll stick to my guns.... when she tries to jump out 10'...she's all over the place..... when she stays within her comfort zone.. she's as cool as the other side of the pillow.

I do believe you are right. DD told me that she has been trying to put as much effort into the pitch as possible. I think she was associating a longer push distance with effort and not really understanding that controlling the push is more important than just jumping out there as far as possible. She was actually throwing a bit faster with more control of the push/landing than she was without controlling it. I guess in an 11 year old mind, giving more effort equates to a further push and pulling the elbow into the hip as hard as possible. It makes sense to me but i wish i would have caught it sooner but happy the board pointed us in the right direction. We appreciate it.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah

Rick Pauly has in the past suggested that it's not how far you leap, it's how quick you get there. He suggests you see heal-plant by the time the arm is somewhere around 10:30. I've really worked on this with my three pitchers, because they tended to have their arm at 9:00 or lower at heal-plant.

Here's a brief look and description of the arm sequencing. Note the mention of the "palm up"....exaggerating this could keep the point of the elbow driving into the side....may be one more tip to consider. May want to get to where the ball is facing third base sooner rather than later. The rolling through action several have mentioned is prevalent in this clip.....looks a lot like internal rotation happening.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Here's a brief look and description of the arm sequencing. Note the mention of the "palm up"....exaggerating this could keep the point of the elbow driving into the side....may be one more tip to consider. May want to get to where the ball is facing third base sooner rather than later. The rolling through action several have mentioned is prevalent in this clip.....looks a lot like internal rotation happening.

Wow Rick, excellent advice and video. We really appreciate your time and input.

Jul 31, 2011
Rick
A great job in describing much of what happens when the upper arm comes into the side and the upper inside of the forearm comes into the hip. I would disagree though, rather emphatically, that there should be further contact down the lower arm towards the wrist on the thigh.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles