Help with a young pitcher 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Okay so we have a pitcher on our team who has a wonderfully gifted strong arm. She has good IR in her arm whip/circle with NO HELLO ELBOW. Problem is that she is opening (or closing...I can never get which one is the correct term to use) back the hitter too soon causing her arm to go off course slightly thus creating a wild pitch. Fast and Fluid...Just wild. I am looking for any advice on drills I can work with her on to keep her arm speed where it is yet start to begin to give her some physical and mental reps at keeping her hips closed toward 3rd base foul line slightly longer. I think this would allow her to finish her arm circle without the lower body causing her issues. Hope I have addressed the clearly. I will not be able to post pics as I do not have them right now. She drives in from another town and does not live close enough for me to just run over and video her up. Great player. She is just mentally in the dumps right now because of the results of her pitches. I am trying to explain it and help her but I really need a drill she can do at home, with me or with her mom/dad to develop the muscle memory to correct the issue.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The term that you want is "open." You want her to stay open, toes on the power line and belly button toward 3rd, for a righty pitcher. Perhaps she was taught to "slam the door," by someone else?

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Thanks Amy. I always get mixed up. Open or Closed. I have thought about doing a K Drill or some other common drills to help her with the timing of it all. But I am not sure these drills would be good enough. She slams the door alright...it just seems to be a split second too soon.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, to Power K's. And put her right up against the fence and have her pitch. She faces the fence and does a complete pitch. I am recently talking a lot about the plane of the pitch, keeping the ball on the hula hoop, not taking the ball off of the path of the power line, etc.

PM me your e-mail and I can send you video of a 10yo beginner, that I had tonight.

Help

Okay so we have a pitcher on our team who has a wonderfully gifted strong arm. She has good IR in her arm whip/circle with NO HELLO ELBOW. Problem is that she is opening (or closing...I can never get which one is the correct term to use) back the hitter too soon causing her arm to go off course slightly thus creating a wild pitch. Fast and Fluid...Just wild. I am looking for any advice on drills I can work with her on to keep her arm speed where it is yet start to begin to give her some physical and mental reps at keeping her hips closed toward 3rd base foul line slightly longer. I think this would allow her to finish her arm circle without the lower body causing her issues. Hope I have addressed the clearly. I will not be able to post pics as I do not have them right now. She drives in from another town and does not live close enough for me to just run over and video her up. Great player. She is just mentally in the dumps right now because of the results of her pitches. I am trying to explain it and help her but I really need a drill she can do at home, with me or with her mom/dad to develop the muscle memory to correct the issue.

Try a stride board like a 1x4 for stride with left leg and drag along with back leg staying on board.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Thanks. Keep it coming. @ Amy..sending PM now. Thx. I really want to help her as I know she will be amazing. I have seen many pitchers at this age in the past 2 years. She is unique and I know could be amazing if she "gets" this down. Not sure where or why she is even "slamming the door closed" at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish