Help understanding pitching Styles and Methodologies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
South carolina
My dd is 9 and wants to learn to pitch. I want to provide her with the correct foundation and fundamentals starting out so we can avoid having to undo any bad mechanics. This site offers vast amounts of knowledge and terminology. For me as a newcomer to fastpitch, this is wonderful but at the same time overwhelming!
I am asking if it is possible for an explanation of the different pitching styles both mechanically and maybe even philosophically and what makes one method better than another. I often hear terminology such as "slam the door" or "open vs closed" so any explanation on common terminology will be much welcomed. My goal is to be able to recognize for myself that a pitching coach is providing good sound instruction or whether I need to look for a different instructor.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to your insight

Apr 25, 2010
I'm not sure how comprehensive my reply will be, but here goes...

(Disclaimer: I am only a pitcher's parent. Not a pitching coach, so take it for what it's worth...)

Closed style pitching can easily be recognized by the catcher's ability to see both of the pitcher's shoulders during her delivery.

Conversely, Open style pitching has one shoulder showing. Moving sideways toward the catcher.

Closed style lends itself to a "hello elbow" finish, where the pitcher basically shows her elbow to the catcher on the follow through.

Open style has many different follow throughs. My DD follows through to the opposite shoulder. Other's DDs follow through by just letting the arm "fly". It is almost impossible to do hello elbow with this style.

Many pitching instructors, elite pitchers, pro-pitchers teach hello elbow, but do not actually do it themselves. They follow through naturally, then force their arm into the hello elbow position because that is what they have been taught. It really adds nothing to the pitch.

Proponents of "closed" pitching, also tend to preach "slam the door/hips". They believe this gives a little extra power. I believe that is a bunch of garbage. If that were the case, Jennie Finch, Cat Osterman, Taryn Mowatt would all do it. They don't.

I also feel that open style is much more friendly on the shoulder. Try this, imagine a line from you to wherever. Stand with your body perpendicular to that line. Turn your arm in a complete, straight circle. Now, stand with your body parallel to that line and turn your arm in a circle. Which feels more natural?

Go to fastpitch.tv and watch episodes 89, 90, & 91. That is Bill Hillhouse doing his coaching clinic. It gives a lot of good information in regards to "open" style pitching. He explains hows and whys.

Good luck, and enjoy the journey. I can be wonderful and frustrating...lol.

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
Rule #1: As a parent, when asked how hard your DD throws, you always add 6-8 MPH from whatever
the radar gun reads!!

In all seriousness, it is hours and hours of work, day after day after day. Not one person here will tell
you there is anything easy about pitching at a mid to top level. Finding a coach that teaches correct
mechanics from day 1 is essential. The professionals here can lead you in the right direction on that
along with about 200-300 hours a week of reading here. Not that you can see into the future, but if
you think she can stick with the 3-5 day a week practices for the next 10 years or so, grab a bucket
and a mitt and welcome to the pitching life, it's a rocky and expensive, but rewarding trip.

And welcome to DFP!!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Couple more:

-Step-style vs leap/drag:
Step-style is more about the arm doing most of the work. The leap/drag style is what you see most pitchers doing and involves the lower body along with the upper body driving forward like a sprinter's start. The leap/drag not only puts the body closer to the hitter, but is considered to be a more efficient way to propel the ball

-Bowling/wrist snap vs whip (IR):
The bowling/wrist snap method is commonly taught. It is not used by any high level pitchers that I've heard of. It seems to be a wive's tale/myth about how the ball is delivered that is perpetuated over and over. This style suggests the back of the hand leads the circle to 12 o'clock (straight up,) then rotates to ball leading/palm facing the direction of travel down the back side and through release. This style aslo suggests that there is a violent wrist snap at release.

The whip (IR) is what actually happens and slow motion video of almost any pitcher will confirm this. The back of the hand leads the ball to the top of the circle (palm facing the catcher/1st base) and generally maintains this orientation all the way to just before release, when the forearm, wrist and hand rotate 180 degrees through release. In the wrist snap method, the palm faces the catcher during the snap. In the whip, it only faces the catcher for a micro-second.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"Slam the door"--This refers to violently closing the hips at release. According to people who subscribe to this approach, the sudden slamming of the hips will increase velocity. (It doesn't.)
"Closed pitching style" -- if you go down and watch 10U rec league (other than in SoCal), all the pitchers will be throwing with the closed style. The pitcher closes her hips prior to throwing the ball. In fact, she may never open the hips. Most slow pitch pitchers use this style.
"Open style"-- In reality, there is only one way for women to pitch correctly. The hips have to open, the arm moves past the hips and the ball is released. There is no forced closing of the hips. "Open" does not mean the hips do not close at all. It is pretty much impossible to throw without closing the hips somewhat. There is some discussion about the optimum amount of hip closure, but that is for super-advanced pitchers.
"Hello elbow"--This is the finish on a fastball where the elbow ends up at shoulder level and pointing at the catcher. Most people on this forum would say this form is incorrect.
"IR" -- "Internal rotation" This refers to the rotation of the forearm counter-clockwise for a rightie or clockwise for a leftie at release. There has been a lot written on this forum about IR. (The guru of IR is BoardMember.)
"8" -- The number of pitches a Daddy says his 10 YOA DD pitcher has.
"3" -- The number of pitches most D1 pitchers have.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, another thing I thought of...

Wrist snaps/flicks as a method of warm up, or really as a method of anything else, are completely useless. They don't strengthen the wrist, because the wrist has no muscles. They don't make you snap the ball harder, because it is the fingers and arm whip that control that function.

Also, drills that isolate one particular part of the pitching action should be used sparingly. Specifically, only if the student is having problems with that ONE thing. Always remember, the better the mechanics, the better the speed and control.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Buy a pitching rubber or get a similar sized board (much cheaper) and attach it where she is going to be pitching. If it is on concrete, she will need a mat, like an old carpet runner, to help cushion her landing.

Then, put down the power line by running a chalk line or line in the dirt, straight out from the side of her right foot. (I don't run mine down the middle of the pitcher's plate.) Then, draw a line across that, where her stride foot should land.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Buy a pitching rubber or get a similar sized board (much cheaper) and attach it where she is going to be pitching.

I've had good luck at a farm supply store buying 6"x4' pieces of stall mat in 3/8 and 3/4 inch thicknesses. I use the 3/8 inch pieces and no-residue duct tape for carpet or smooth indoor surfaces. For dirt, I drilled holes in the 3/4 inch pieces, recess them into the dirt, then spike them down.

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
I read on here and a co worker who has cousin working in mine. Conveyor belt from a mining operation works great for indoor pitch surface. just add rubber and it don't move.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild