help me find Hitter's post on revised grip, thanks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2008
Didn't know things could get so heated over a small concept such as grip, I personally have only seen video of Candrea talk about the door knockin knuckles, anyone have video about the grip Bustos is teaching now?

T

theaddition

Didn't know things could get so heated over a small concept such as grip, I personally have only seen video of Candrea talk about the door knockin knuckles, anyone have video about the grip Bustos is teaching now?

Why not just listen to the people that actually know her and work with her at clinics?
They are telling us how she currently grips the bat. What more do people need.
You can look at all the video clips you want, but it's not as conclusive as hearing it from the source.
I recently got a note from Hitter who made a grip suggestion for my DD.
I didn't initially understand what he was getting at and told him that.
He sent another email detailing it further and I now understand it.
The corrections are being made, and it has taken a month or so for my DD to get comfortable with the grip adjustment.
Hitter also made some other suggestions detailing other areas which we are working on.

Thanks Hitter

BD

Jun 27, 2008
BD, I appreciate all the help from other people and the information they are willing to share.
I personally would also like to hear from the source as you have which is why I asked if Crystl herself had any video describing the grip.

I will go over the grips posted of what she is teaching and ask my DD's hitting instructor about it since it has never been mentioned to us before.

Thanks again for your help.

Dec 11, 2010
Hitter, SBFamily, FiveFrameSwing, Cshilt and anyone I may have forgotton- First of all, thank you so much for sharing your hard won knowledge. As a softball dad, who knew little about the game until a few years ago, I really appreciate the willingness of all here to help novices like me. I have two daughters and two teammates of my older daughter who have been helped so much already by what I have learned here.

2 questions-
1) Is ther a possibility someone could post some various larger photos of the correct grip? I would really like to see the knotted hair ties correctly used before I charge forward and incorrectly apply that concept.
2) Is there a resource available for purchase that will help me correctly teach fundementals? I have purchased several books and DVD's and my "go to" resource is currently the USA Softball hitting drills DVD.

My first priority is to "do no harm". I really want to have a firm grip on this topic , (no pun intended), before I jump in with both feet.

Last edited:
T

theaddition

Hitter, SBFamily, FiveFrameSwing, Cshilt and anyone I may have forgotton- First of all, thank you so much for sharing your hard won knowledge. As a softball dad, who knew little about the game until a few years ago, I really appreciate the willingness of all here to help novices like me. I have two daughters and two teammates of my older daughter who have been helped so much already by what I have learned here.

2 questions-
1) Is ther a possibility someone could post some various larger photos of the correct grip? I would really like to see the knotted hair ties correctly used before I charge forward and incorrectly apply that concept.
2) Is there a resource available for purchase that will help me correctly teach fundementals? I have purchased several books and DVD's and my "go to" resource is currently the USA Softball hitting drills DVD.

My first priority is to "do no harm". I really want to have a firm grip on this topic , (no pun intended), before I jump in with both feet.

Let me preface this with this:
I have nothing tied to him other than I purchased some instructional material a couple of years ago and found them to be the best I have ever used. I don't know him and have only traded two emails over the years.
What I purchased was a series of .WMV files he created that covered mechanics and supporting drills. He has since then changed his system to a more web based form of instruction. You can most likely still get his .WMV series, I paid $10.
I believe he has posted here in the past. He goes by Fastpitchtrainer and his name is Mark Mulvany.

Softball Hitting Online - Drills | Videos | Lessons

I hope this helps you out.

BD

Sep 29, 2010

I don't even think Candrea and Enquist speak about the knuckles or grip in the RVP videos. I don;t place too much emphasis on this with my daughter and son other than to tell them to not squeeze the life out of the bat.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Mike and Sue will upgrade RVP to include grip. Don Slaught did the test with Sue at UCLA and it will be revised. Grip is very important and leads to other faults such as extention . FFS-Chris posted some good pictures of the hands . Both Chris's are very good with pictures and video. cshilt may be able to post the hair Tie on the first finger for you. It just gives the kids a reference and a feeling of where to place the bat. Most of my kids have this under the glove when they play. It is the same principle as turbo slot gloves. Just a little test for those that don't think grip is important have your kid grip the bat in the meaty part of the hand between the finger and thumb. Like most do !Come to contact and stop the bat. You will be able to shove the bat back with one finger. Now tell me what happens when they make contact with the ball with that weak grip? We may argue about different teaching methods but we all tend to agree on grip.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Theaddition- Thanks- I took a quick look at that, looks like short instructional videos with a printable PDF checklist to help you do it right. Like the printable fact sheet idea.