help me find Hitter's post on revised grip, thanks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Are you talking about having the index finger of the bottom-hand off of the bat ... as we see in Ted Williams grip?

24fwvtx.gif

May 7, 2008
not that one,

Read Howard's posts on grip. Without the proper grip you will fail at the hammer drill. Plus all the studies that Don and Sue did at UCLA at the lab show a 3 to 5 MPH improvement in Bat Speed using the new grip that they started teaching . This was posted by SBfamily... maybe somebody more familair with the forum can figure out how to ask SBfamily...thanks

My recall is that is discusses a variation on lining up the knocker knuckles , but not quite lining them up as was previously advocated, but I want to review to get myslef up to speed with the lastestthinking

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Howard's post cut and pasted " In my opinion it is in the grip first.

Look at how she is holding the bat and do not say anything to her and then say do not move or let go of the bat and I will bet you the bat is in the back of her top hand where the thumb and index finger meet.

Some where there is a picture of one of our girls showing how we hold the bat in front of the index finger pad.. Some of our girls take the rubber bands they use to tie their pony tails up with and cut it and tie it on the index finger so the knot is on the palm side of the hand and then put the glove on so it makes a lump and they can feel it until they get use to it and how it feels and IT KEEPS THE BAT OUT OF THE BACK OF THE HAND!

Try this....stretch out your right hand palm up and then take your index and thumb of the left hand and hold your forearm with the index and thumb circling it.

Now move your ring and social finger inward towards ( make a fist) the palm of your outstretched hand and you should feel the muscles activated on both sides of your forearm.

Now repeat and only move the index and thumb and you will feel just a little activation on he thumb side of the outstretched hand.

We call the ring and social finger grippers and the thumb and index finger balancers.

You can hold the bat with the ring and social fingers only and no one can pull the bat out of your hand.

This is why we use the grip we do as the bat is out of the back of your hand and and is in front of your hand and your wrist is flexed downward at contact ie palm up and palm down.

Are her hands inside the ball? Probably not or the hands would not be stinging

Feb 24, 2010
DD (10 YO) attended a clinic run by Crystal and Howard this spring, in which they taught this grip. She has followed their technique all TB season long and it has resulted with her having the highest BA, Slugging and OPS on the team, along with having the most extra base hits and near the top in RBI. She doesn't always get on base, but she sure makes the defense field a hard hit ball. I highly recommend following Howards advice on hitting, especially to younger girls.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
DD (10 YO) attended a clinic run by Crystal and Howard this spring, in which they taught this grip. She has followed their technique all TB season long and it has resulted with her having the highest BA, Slugging and OPS on the team, along with having the most extra base hits and near the top in RBI. She doesn't always get on base, but she sure makes the defense field a hard hit ball. I highly recommend following Howards advice on hitting, especially to younger girls.

Howard gave up trying to meet the standards of individuals using only the Hanson principal verses common sense!

Some times the feeling of doing something over rides all else, and getting them to feel it ,comes from teaching it.

Glad his stuff works for you

Straightleg

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
look/surface appearance can be useful, especially with video/analysis of full speed/live action swings. but I agree, feel is more important even though it is more subjective/relative/variable.

Understanding similarity of throw and swing is very important here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K4man