Helmet being worn by pitcher—men's slow pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Thats because most of these guys couldn't hit a pitch traveling at mid to upper 80s from 46'ft.I guess what was getting me was watching a 120 pound man hitting a ball over 300' fences with a swing a LL wouldn't want to do.Then try to act like his bat isn't shaved,I was catching a game on day and the end cap popped off the bat and said something to the guy after he fouled off a pitch,about that bat isn't shaved is it?"Oh no," he said, then next pitch went yard,another guy that had a bad swing and was a buck thirty,with rocks in his pockets,soaking wet.

I don't know where you live but slowpitch softball is not played like that here in Indiana. The hyperbole in this thread regarding slowpitch is not indicative of league play or tournament play in Indiana.

Are there shaved/rolled bats? There are a few that use them in league play however there are homerun limits put in place that negates the team with the "120 lb men" hitting 300' ft bombs. With the HR limits, runs limits, and ball compression restrictions there are not any "50-40" slowpitch softball games. Most tournaments have bat testing and even in league play if you hit the pitcher your bat gets tested.

Everytime I hear the someone complain about how hot/shaved/rolled the bats are now I just smile and nod. It's usually an old timer talking about how much tougher it was in the "good old days" to hit homeruns. (Funny how they don't mention the differences in ball compressions).

The only way you will see a "50-40" slowpitch game is if you go play in an unsanctioned roundrobbin where you are hitting your own balls (harder compression) with your shaved bat. That is not slowpitch softball.

Apr 15, 2010
The slowpitch game on ESPN last night that the OP referred to (team USA vs USA futures) had a final score of 38-37.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The slowpitch game on ESPN last night that the OP referred to (team USA vs USA futures) had a final score of 38-37.

With the tying run thrown out at the plate to end the game. I gave it a good effort and watched about 35 minutes of the game, I appreciated the talent (physical conditioning not so much) of the players, but came away with 2 thoughts: 1) why would someone want to watch a slow pitch game and 2) I'm very glad that DD plays FP.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

Can't happen. Gunnershotgun said it couldn't. How many of those homeruns hit in that game were hit with no one on. Let's say 4. So, put a runner or two on and 50-40. Gunnershotgun, since your remarks were directed toward something I posted, did you see that I once played at the level comporable to what was on TV? I played against Steele, Howards, Rich's Superior... I've played against players like Elliot, Hall, Manchenco, (sp) Androff, ... Some of those guys hit 300-500 homeruns in a year.

I apologize for hijacking this thread.

May 17, 2012

"With both teams burning all their allowed ten home runs through the first five innings.."

That's not softball. That's more like a longest drive contest.

Jan 25, 2011
Gunner shotgun I agree the balls are harder too,we have two hr limit per inning in our area.I myself have never used a shaved bat,but when you play in tournaments every weekend between 3 states,like I use too,before dd started playing.You have pretty good idea when guys are using shaved bats.It is more satisfying hitting bombs with a legal bat,knowing you put the work in on hitting then cheating.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
This is my buddy loaded up for a slow pitch tournament last year, I just had to take a picture because no one would ever believe me.

2be38acf.jpg
[/IMG]

So he's got Saturday covered. When is the Sunday beer run?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06