Helmet being worn by pitcher—men's slow pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
There's a slow pitch game on ESPN2 at this moment. One of the team's pitchers is wearing a helmet with a mask. He's dancing like a cat on a hot tin roof after each pitch.

Wonder what the girls would think of that?

Jan 25, 2011
It is a lacross helmet by the looks of it,my dd will be wearing one next year.Iam glad to see it,makes dd feel better about wearing one next year.The pitcher moves around like that to try and plug the hole in the infeild.She will be wearing one because thats the only way that her Nerosurgeon will permit her to play next year.She pitches.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2010
There's no way I would play slowpitch without at least a facemask.

Nano - is she wearing a lacrosse helmet to play lacrosse? I hope so. I don't see how you can play fastpitch in one.

Oct 25, 2009
It is a lacross helmet by the looks of it,my dd will be wearing one next year.Iam glad to see it,makes dd feel better about wearing one next year.The pitcher moves around like that to try and plug the hole in the infeild.

You might want to consider a Rip-It mask instead. A full helmet is a little too much.

Jan 25, 2011
There's no way I would play slowpitch without at least a facemask.

Nano - is she wearing a lacrosse helmet to play lacrosse? I hope so. I don't see how you can play fastpitch in one.
no,she has been practicing pitching it.She says that one of the bars needs removed in the mask,she says that it works great and it doesnt move around.My dd had 7 hours of brain surgery from getting a concussion,she needs protection on the left side of her head,right behind her left ear.

Jan 25, 2011
You might want to consider a Rip-It mask instead. A full helmet is a little too much.
she has one of those.She lives for softball and wants to play in college some day so if there is away to play.It is not because she is scared or sucks at softball,she isnt scared of the ball and is not a beginner,she is 13yo and plays TB.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Worth makes a pitching helmet with mask. More and more men are wearing it, because some of the guys TRY to hit up the middle. There have been some very nasty accidents.

And "yes," they do back up, after pitching.

Jan 25, 2011
I know their will be people next year talking about Emily wearing a helmet while playing in the feild.I told Emily dont worry about it,show them what you have on the feild and let them talk.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I played slowpitch at a very high level and for a number of years. In fact, the teams I played on were some of the best around. I probably played in just about every state in the union. Back then, sure we had homerun hitters but the balls and bats still made it competitive. My top seasonal total for homeruns was 22 but I did that maybe 10 times. If I hit the ball they now use and with the bats they now have, I'd hit 50+ easily every year. I've told the story before but I played against guys like Dirk Androff. Look him up sometime. He was a friend and he hit some blasts. Unfortunatley, he died way too young. For the most part, when the game got so juiced that it no longer meant anything tohit homeruns and the games became 50 to 40 run games, slowpitch lost its appeal. Around my area, it is a dead sport.

Oct 25, 2009
I know their will be people next year talking about Emily wearing a helmet while playing in the feild.I told Emily dont worry about it,show them what you have on the feild and let them talk.

If she's OK with it, that's all that matters. With the surgery, I think the helmet is the best route to take.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478