Helmet being worn by pitcher—men's slow pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 28, 2012
To me...this is why slowpitch has become MORE popular and is killing Men's FP.

Slowpitch is more popular because more people can play. I played fastpitch in the early 80's against the best teams in the world Pay-n-Pak out of WA for example. The competetiveness of the game relied souly on the pitcher and you had no choice but to play small ball. The pitchers at that level were practically un-hitable, Ty Stofflet for example once threw like 23 innings of no-no ball. The best pitchers were throwing 104mph and we had bats over 30 oz. Tough to get that around when the ball is coming from 40ft at 100+. Slowpitch developed and swallowed men's fastpitch for 1 reason only; pitching. There just were not enough talented pitchers to be competetive. Teams used to pay and fly guys in from New Zealand and Australia to pitch in big tournies.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
With the tying run thrown out at the plate to end the game. I gave it a good effort and watched about 35 minutes of the game, I appreciated the talent (physical conditioning not so much) of the players, but came away with 2 thoughts: 1) why would someone want to watch a slow pitch game and 2) I'm very glad that DD plays FP.

And I get bored watching FP. I know quite a few SP players that are is pretty good shape. Yeah, some of the guys last night have less-than-impressive physiques, but they didn't get on the team just because they can hit the ball 400' In spite of their looks, most can field their position quite well.

For as much as you wouldn't want anyone to be judgmental of FP players of size, maybe you shouldn't be so quick with the SP players, either.

Oct 25, 2009
There's a slow pitch game on ESPN2 at this moment. One of the team's pitchers is wearing a helmet with a mask. He's dancing like a cat on a hot tin roof after each pitch.

Wonder what the girls would think of that?[/QUOTEthis is a Fastpitch for Forum and we should keep it that way!

This is a thread comparing a slowpitch player wearing a helmet and wondering what a fastpitch player would think of that.

Get it? See the fastpitch connection?

Need help with how to use the forum tools?

There have definitely been something interesting responses, by the way.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2012
There's a slow pitch game on ESPN2 at this moment. One of the team's pitchers is wearing a helmet with a mask. He's dancing like a cat on a hot tin roof after each pitch.

Wonder what the girls would think of that?

If you were watching closely you would have seen balls hit at 1st and 3rd that were eating the
Up. They are 15ft deep in the grass probably 90ft away the pitcher might get back to 55ft if lucky. The ball exit speeds at this level are 110 mph easily probably more like 120 mph. Even though the majority of these players could clear the 310ft fence using a wood bat, I would almost with 100% certainty guess they are all using shaved/juiced bats. I have seen some of thess guys putting balls into the upper decks at MLB parks. The male commentator said he saw one of the hit balls out of PETCO stadium in San Diego. In this game after the home runs were gone guys were cutting back swings and still wristing line drives 350ft. Pitching is scary at that level. None of the girls are having balls hit back at them any where close to the velocity these men generate.

Jun 28, 2012

Wonder what the girls would think of that?

If you were watching closely you would have seen balls hit at 1st and 3rd that were eating them up. They are 15ft deep in the grass probably 90ft away the pitcher might get back to 55ft if lucky. The ball exit speeds at this level are 110 mph easily probably more like 120 mph. Even though the majority of these players could clear the 310ft fence using a wood bat, I would almost with 100% certainty guess they are all using shaved/juiced bats. I have seen some of thess guys putting balls into the upper decks at MLB parks. The male commentator said he saw one of the hit balls out of PETCO stadium in San Diego. In this game after the home runs were gone guys were cutting back swings and still wristing line drives 350ft. Pitching is scary at that level. None of the girls are having balls hit back at them any where close to the velocity these men generate.

Mar 19, 2012
I have been playing mens slow pitch softball for about 12 yrs now, since I was 20 and my baseball career ended. I have been pitching now for the last 6 yrs or so and i wear a helmet when I pitch. Not so much in my leagues but for sure in tournaments. tournament ball and rec ball are 2 totally different thing. Rec ball is mostly people getting out having fun with friends or co workers and its more about a good time than anything else. You get some good players but for the most part the talent level is pretty mediocre. Now tournament ball a total opposite. These guys are professional A-holes. Homeruns or to they are intentionally trying to hit the pitcher. Not only are they trying to hit the pitcher they don't care about injury. No that doesn't count for every person, but I would say 3 out of 10 batters in a line up could care less if they hit the pitcher. I wear the helmet and love it. I don't mind getting hit. Hit at me.. bring it...when I catch it Ill roll it over to first base for you.. I can handle being hit... just not worth the risk to be drilled in the face or head. Now that I am coaching my daughters team my tournament days are over.

If one of the girls wanted to wear a helmet over a face mask on my team I wouldn't have a issue in it. As long as when they wear it they are getting in front of the ball and keeping eye on it. No point in wearing it and turning head.

funny tourney guy vs rec guy video
tourny "guy" meets league "guy" softball - YouTube

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Slowpitch is more popular because more people can play. I played fastpitch in the early 80's against the best teams in the world Pay-n-Pak out of WA for example. The competetiveness of the game relied souly on the pitcher and you had no choice but to play small ball. The pitchers at that level were practically un-hitable, Ty Stofflet for example once threw like 23 innings of no-no ball. The best pitchers were throwing 104mph and we had bats over 30 oz. Tough to get that around when the ball is coming from 40ft at 100+. Slowpitch developed and swallowed men's fastpitch for 1 reason only; pitching. There just were not enough talented pitchers to be competetive. Teams used to pay and fly guys in from New Zealand and Australia to pitch in big tournies.

Right there with you...I grew up in the 70's - 80's in Arizona watching a very competetive Mens FP league every weekend during the summer time. You're correct on the pitching...not enough young kids learning how to pitch FP.

For about four years, our town sponsored a New Zealand pitcher and/or player to come for the summer and play with one of our local teams...we even brought an entire team over for the 4th of July tournament for a few years. Sadly, those days are gone....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
And I get bored watching FP. I know quite a few SP players that are is pretty good shape. Yeah, some of the guys last night have less-than-impressive physiques, but they didn't get on the team just because they can hit the ball 400' In spite of their looks, most can field their position quite well.

For as much as you wouldn't want anyone to be judgmental of FP players of size, maybe you shouldn't be so quick with the SP players, either.

And it appears that some of them didn't make the team because of their sliding in/ability as that game would've been tied and continued if there had been a slide on the final out. My comment re conditioning was simply an observation, a comment. With respect to size/conditioning, I don't have an issue with a players size, whether its Joe SP, Prince Fielder, or my DD, but, IMO, in many cases it does provide some insight into how seriously they take their hobbies, professions, and health. And, FWIW, there were many players that looked to be in excellent shape. The last question I have is when the HR limit is reached and each bomb thereafter is a DBO, is it ego that prevents them from keeping the ball in the park when the game has yet to be decided?

While some like vanilla, others prefer chocolate. Obviously I prefer FP .

Jan 25, 2011
The last question I have is when the HR limit is reached and each bomb thereafter is a DBO, is it ego that prevents them from keeping the ball in the park when the game has yet to be decided?
some of these guys ego's are larger then life.It was the National,not the futures that seem to have their big egos,I loved that they got beat,I think Canada beat them last year if I'am not mistaken.They could place the ball more if they wanted,and grap the wal-mart bat instead of their shaved bats,that might keep it in the park.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad