Has travel ball hurt your local rec programs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
Our area rec is pushing the point of collapse.
IMO's
1. Travel parents get to pick what they perceive as better fit for their child skills in TB.
2. Apply #1 to coaching.
3. 1 and 2 equals choice. Rec is draft and locked in for season.

I agree with this. The problem with rec to me is coaching. Just some dad that played middle school baseball was not going to cut it, softball is a different animal. That is why we made the move right after our 1st year of softball, she had played a couple years of baseball first. In our case the head coach of our rec team was a woman that had never played a sport before but was a board member of our local LL, so there was no removing her. If we were talking baseball then a lot of the dads know enough to get them to 10u and beyond. It is different for girls softball. I did research about the coaches of the TB team my daughter was trying out for, after her first year she could have made any team in our area. We have been fortunate but have had great coaching all 4 of her TB years and she has a blast playing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree with this. The problem with rec to me is coaching. Just some dad that played middle school baseball was not going to cut it, softball is a different animal. That is why we made the move right after our 1st year of softball, she had played a couple years of baseball first. In our case the head coach of our rec team was a woman that had never played a sport before but was a board member of our local LL, so there was no removing her. If we were talking baseball then a lot of the dads know enough to get them to 10u and beyond. It is different for girls softball. I did research about the coaches of the TB team my daughter was trying out for, after her first year she could have made any team in our area. We have been fortunate but have had great coaching all 4 of her TB years and she has a blast playing.

Although it might be the exception more than the norm, I've seen a few pretty good coaches who have not played either baseball or softball. I've also seen terrible coaches who have played softball at a high level. At this point, I try to judge coaching ability based on what they do on the field as a coach rather than what they did, or didn't do, as a player.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
Although it might be the exception more than the norm, I've seen a few pretty good coaches who have not played either baseball or softball. I've also seen terrible coaches who have played softball at a high level. At this point, I try to judge coaching ability based on what they do on the field as a coach rather than what they did, or didn't do, as a player.

I hear you and agree pretty much. We were looking for a coach to teach her how to play softball, not be a good person, that is our job. Now that my DD is playing at a higher level, I look for a coach that will push her as a player, an athlete, and be an example. I feel someone that has been through college and pro softball must have done something right, but does that automatically make them good coaches? No not at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi