IS TRAVEL BALL leaving people/players/rec & school behind...OR...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
and it is an answer to this:

"IS TRAVEL BALL leaving people/players/rec & school behind...OR.."

whether you like it or not. If you wanted to close your eyes to that then you should have made that clarification in your initial post
eg " Financial issues aside,....." and I wouldn't keep bringing it up every so often so people don't forget the most glaring answer to your question.
My eyes are not closed. That is your point you brought to the discussion. Yes Financial disparity is a reason for many things.
*But that does not explain why travel ball has grown so ginormously!!!
You can close your eyes to that fact if you want.
Think you are avoiding recognizing that even while travel ball cost a lot more it is flourished far beyond it's cheaper option of recreational softball.
There is a reason why people have chosen something that's more expensive than something that is cheaper. And I do not think it is just because it's more expensive people want to do it.

Fact: The Lure of travel ball has pulled people away from its less expensive city League option!

Jun 8, 2016
My eyes are not closed. That is your point you brought to the discussion. Yes Financial disparity is a reason for many things
*But that does not explain why travel ball has grown so ginormously.
You can close your eyes to that fact if you want.
Think you are avoiding recognizing that even while travel ball cost a lot more it is flourished far beyond it's cheaper option of recreational softball.
There is a reason why people have chosen something that's more expensive than something that is cheaper. And I do not think it is just because it's more expensive people want to do it.

Fact: The Lure of travel ball has pulled people away from its less expensive city League option!
I answered the question you posed in your thread title.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I answered the question you posed in your thread title.
I never argued with your point about financial disparity. Are you able to recognize there is a point to be made about people who have chosen the more expensive route?
Travel ball has lured people away from rec ball.

Jun 8, 2016
I never argued with your point about financial disparity.
Ok, so you should have just ignored my response since you agree with it instead of bringing in other stuff which was not relevant to my answer to the question YOU posed... 🤷‍♂️

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Ok, so you should have just ignored my response since you agree with it instead of bringing in other stuff which was not relevant to my answer to the question YOU posed.
Lol nope I responded to you because it's a discussion. So I brought some perspective back to the discussion.
Maybe you could come up with another reason why people want to spend more money to do something that could otherwise Cost Less.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Plumb out of ideas Rad. Will rely on you to inform all of us.
Just discussion. No need to be snarky.
Thought you might have some perspective on why people would pay more to do something that could otherwise Cost Less.
Asked you about that because your comment to the topic was Financial.🤷‍♀️

Jun 8, 2016
Thought you might have some perspective on why people would pay more to do something that could otherwise Cost Less.
I have already given my answer to this multiple times in this thread. Go back and read them if you are so interested in my opinion.

Aug 20, 2022
Natrona Heights PA
I can personally attest to this.

My DD started at 10 in LL and probably the worst player in the tryout........
Started playing on a small community C travel team at 11 getting their brains beat in most weekends.......
Moved up to a B team playing .500 ball with an average team but getting reps, experience and building the softball IQ.
Currently first year 16U player deciding to go to a A regional team or stay with the B team....

All this said to make the point without all those games and experience at the bowels of travel ball she would not have the opportunity currently. I don't see the practice time and game experience available at the REC or LL level any longer. The REC coaches moved to travel because they wanted to develop their DD and others that WANTED to get better. How do you develop with a 10-15 game REC schedule and practice 1 time per week with less than half the team showing up? That is what REC looks like here locally.

I also agree many of the girls she played with no longer play travel but this is the regular process of aging up in any sport or activity. My son played low level travel baseball, had fun with friends and decided to only play LL next year because he likes to play and just wants to have fun. So be it.

There is a HUGE developmental opportunity difference between C and low level B travel teams versus REC teams locally in my opinion.
100% spot on. I coached my daughters 10u and 12u team. I won’t do it anymore. I’m tired of practices with 5-6 kids showing up, parents complaining their kids don’t improve when they never come to practice or come for 30 minutes and have to leave. I understand ppl have other things going on but you expect me to commit to your kid when your kid wont commit to the team? I’m focusing on my daughters development and that’s it from now on.

Jun 8, 2016
Rec coaches would be well served in teaching their kids to play wall ball and self toss. Those that love the game and want to get better will be able to do so without needing a parent's time (or money).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi