Hand Path Device

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
The video explaining the use of the device makes things much easier to understand. A question though - is it normal to have the elbow so high i.e even with the shoulder? I assume that no matter what angle or height you hold the device, it helps the hitter understand "where the elbow was, the hand will be"?

The hand path device apparently made its way to a lot of sites for discussion! They only know what some in their small world only choose to see, the glass is half empty or half full! To a person desiring the thirst of knowledge and sharing what they know is forgotten and then it becomes who is giving verses receiving. Its purpose was to jump start the hitters understanding and feeling for hands inside the ball and the tilt and turn and the rotation of the hips as needed to drive the ball by releasing the barrel with the wrist. Many of you saw it and understand the value. I especially like it for the kids that are too linear and pull everything and as the start connection I can put my hand on their lead shoulder and turn them a little more and they understand and when we hit off the tee you see the results very quickly.

3DD'sDAD No the elbow and would normally never be that high and the device has it limitations as their is no game generated momentum in the static swing verses dynamic. What or if you saw BM's demo was more in fact what we do as I like the elbow to start lower and gradually go up the ramp to adjust verses up and then down or somewhere in between. This is another reason we always start below the knee and work up as to bat angle as hopefully this gets the hitter in a better mode to adjust in a game and that is the same basic body position of feeling it. Your last statement of where the elbow was the hands will be is priceless in my opinion to teaching what everyone considers the hardest thing to do in sports, hit a round object with a round object!

Thanks Howard

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Three cheers for the value of this device. I "borrowed' Howard's design and used it tonight with my young 9 & 10 year old girls. Significant breakthroughs and improvement off the tee tonight and they seemed to get what i was showing them. Many previously had their front elbow too high(probably my fault...over compersating for their straight arm casting swings when they first started). I like this thing.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
lhowser. I think those that are critical have never used it or seen it used. Only a video posting, which doesn't do it justice. I have two clinics this weekend with young girls and I can tell you it makes your point that you are trying to teach them. Some of the comments I have seen , just won't work when teaching young girls. So I know they don't work with young females. I have to give credit to my wife, who has taught 30 plus years and works with LD kids. She has refined many of my drills, so they can understand what we are teaching. Her comment was never say anything verbally that you can show them.

Feb 19, 2010
Mason Ohio
Just found this forum today and this looks like the place that I have been looking for. Not sure if everthing is working correctly for me, I do not see avideo or link to a video for the Hand Path Device talked about here, can someone help me out?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06