Hand Path Device

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I have found working with girls they must see and feel what you tell them. I just used this device this weekend and the coaches watching felt it showed them in an easy way to see and feel what we were showing the girls.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
The way this is used in the video turns the hands way too late.

My preferred teaching approach is Epstein based where for example at "drop and tilt" (GO) you want to "get the hands flat ASAP".
prior to GO, the lead elbow has always started to "work up a little" (INternally rotate) the it works up more or less (low vs high adjustment) at GO.
Also at GO you are "scooping and with the top hand" (back forearm supinating action with back wrist "set"/dorsiflexed).

Other discussion at an impolite baseball site:

- HAND PATH DEVICE

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
The video explaining the use of the device makes things much easier to understand. A question though - is it normal to have the elbow so high i.e even with the shoulder? I assume that no matter what angle or height you hold the device, it helps the hitter understand "where the elbow was, the hand will be"?

Oct 12, 2009
The video explaining the use of the device makes things much easier to understand. A question though - is it normal to have the elbow so high i.e even with the shoulder? I assume that no matter what angle or height you hold the device, it helps the hitter understand "where the elbow was, the hand will be"?

IMO, this device can be helpful when explaining the concept of getting and then rotating everything on plane, but the exact mechanics I see in clips aren't perfect (the front elbow's bent too much).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06