Hand Path Device

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I wonder if a student would be able to understand that the devise was being used to help with the swing up to contact, & that we would need to work on extention as well without the device.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Chris and JC,

I have something that is better in design that I invented 4 years ago. I have shared this with very few people. Straightleg has my permission to post it on here. I will follow up with an explanaiiton after Gerry puts it up. Howard has also helped me with his input on the device. I call it the connector. Straightleg should be putting it on here soon. He found out about this through Howard and then me.

Dana.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I wonder if a student would be able to understand that the devise was being used to help with the swing up to contact, & that we would need to work on extention as well without the device.

That is the point JC as it serves a purpose and if anyone who actually used it would probably see the logic in getting the kids to stay connected would see one size does not ft all, Chris's point is made as to the elbow position as we start it lower and the elbow adjusts going forward and up like it is going up a ramp. Use the rope and continue to let me know how it is going. Pm me and we can arrange another conference call.

Thanks Howard

Oct 12, 2009
That is the point JC as it serves a purpose and if anyone who actually used it would probably see the logic in getting the kids to stay connected would see one size does not ft all, Chris's point is made as to the elbow position as we start it lower and the elbow adjusts going forward and up like it is going up a ramp. Use the rope and continue to let me know how it is going. Pm me and we can arrange another conference call.

Howard,

I haven't read your post in detai yetl, but conceptually speaking a rope would seem to be better because it wouldn't require disconnection (due to the rigidity of the PVC pipe).

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Chris and JC,

I have something that is better in design that I invented 4 years ago. I have shared this with very few people. Straightleg has my permission to post it on here. I will follow up with an explanaiiton after Gerry puts it up. Howard has also helped me with his input on the device. I call it the connector. Straightleg should be putting it on here soon. He found out about this through Howard and then me.

Dana.

Dana I did not want to talk about this unless you wanted to....

JC now you will see why I said it works to a point of contact teaching tool as I use it however it is not like what you saw posted and allows for the lead arm elbow to be in what I term a normal height. It can also be dropped out so extension can be achieved however the big advantage was getting to contact and the elbows staying connected. We have another device for that called the helicopter bat that I will bring to Penn. in March when I see you.

Thanks Howard

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Thanks a lot guys- Dana I look foreward to seeing your "tool" I am real interested in trying to fix her swing sooner rather than later. She really tries to be coachable, but cant seem to grasp that her barrell path stinks. I am coaching a middle school team & a "B" travel team this spring & it wont be long till DD wil get a backseat for my time. thanks.

Oct 19, 2009
I saw a hitting coach teach hand path by the student holding a basketball between their arms and swinging at front toss. I never tried it so I don’t know how effective it could be, but it looked interesting.

I talked to one of the guys who was a student of the coach who used the basketball drill and I asked if he remembered the drill and he advised yes.

He advised that it was not as much for hand path as it was for keeping the elbows working together, he advised the coach used it with him because his back elbow was leading his front elbow too far and causing his front shoulder to fly open. He advised that they did the drill with dry swings, off a tee and front toss, they stopped the bat at contact and did not follow using the basketball.

This young guy plays high school baseball and is a great a good hitter from what I understand. This coach has moved to a minor league team farther north and no longer does lesson locally.

We never tried the drill and I thought it was more to establish had path to the ball. I’m not promoting the drill just wanted to advised what this student of the coach remembered.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I talked to one of the guys who was a student of the coach who used the basketball drill and I asked if he remembered the drill and he advised yes.

He advised that it was not as much for hand path as it was for keeping the elbows working together, he advised the coach used it with him because his back elbow was leading his front elbow too far and causing his front shoulder to fly open. He advised that they did the drill with dry swings, off a tee and front toss, they stopped the bat at contact and did not follow using the basketball.

This young guy plays high school baseball and is a great a good hitter from what I understand. This coach has moved to a minor league team farther north and no longer does lesson locally.

We never tried the drill and I thought it was more to establish had path to the ball. I’m not promoting the drill just wanted to advised what this student of the coach remembered.

PEPPERS

That was my point that beyond contact it does not allow you to feel extension as we have worked on Dana's tool (connector) for two years trying various angles. However to get to contact it works great. The main point it makes for me is what we say staying strong on the back side, meaning the elbow is directly under the hand as we transition during connection to bat lag. This is why we teach the matrix drill of elbows and knob leading the elbows in slow motion to get that feeling while seeing it a mirror.

Thanks Howard

May 7, 2008
DFW
The Connector in use.

Here is one of my students using the "Connector" as I call it. I will post the video for comment. I will follow up with an explaination a bit later. Right now I am a bit busy with some other things going on here at my home. (Building an ARK) *(*()_* Rain. Could be worse. It could be freezing rain or snow.

YouTube - The Connector Swing Training Device (5).MPG

Dana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck