Whiplash

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
That accurately describes how ludicrous it is to expect that playing level in that time. I played for years to stink at the drums. The top guys practice for 7-8 hours a day for years to achieve that level of playing. I never had that level of dedication despite having a lot of talent. I always tell my girls that I really like the drums, but I don't love them enough to practice that much. I get bored after an hour unless I am playing with a band.

It sounds like girls who don't want to put in the work in practice.

You may as well be describing me as a drummer. I started at 26 and comes very easily to me, but I hardly pick up the sticks unless I'm in a band. If I'm in a band I go hard. My last band ran from 2014 - 2019 and I was definitely at my best ever. I've been behind a kit probably 20 times in the past four years though, and that includes noodling around at guitar center a few times. I'm itching to get with a band again but I am RUSTY and slow and get winded or cramped a lot more easily. It's a different kind of cardio. People don't really understand it until I tell them that after two hours of band practice my phone's pedometer would show 11,000 to 14,000 steps just from where I bounce my left leg when not using it. I've got three other limbs and a lot of head bobbing going too. : )

Jan 25, 2022
Miles Teller has been drumming since he was 15 (according to him) so he had a good decade of drumming under his belt going into filming. Still a fairly impressive performance if he had never ventured into jazz and big band drumming.
I read that he had never played before the movie prep. I bet they were just saying it to pump up the buzz for the release. I am slightly less impressed now, but he still did a bangin job.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You may as well be describing me as a drummer. I started at 26 and comes very easily to me, but I hardly pick up the sticks unless I'm in a band. If I'm in a band I go hard. My last band ran from 2014 - 2019 and I was definitely at my best ever. I've been behind a kit probably 20 times in the past four years though, and that includes noodling around at guitar center a few times. I'm itching to get with a band again but I am RUSTY and slow and get winded or cramped a lot more easily. It's a different kind of cardio. People don't really understand it until I tell them that after two hours of band practice my phone's pedometer would show 11,000 to 14,000 steps just from where I bounce my left leg when not using it. I've got three other limbs and a lot of head bobbing going too. : )
I'm going to a clinic with Mike Mangini on Tuesday. So as to not embarrass myself completely, I've been practicing on the pad the last few days. It feels good to be back at it again. If you think you get a lot of steps on your left leg, add a double pedal. My phone reads that as a bike ride!

May 13, 2023
Here's the goal for the dfp drummers who were inspired by that movie...
You get that one shot at someone's wedding or birthday party, make it count! LOL

Jan 25, 2022
I'm going to a clinic with Mike Mangini on Tuesday. So as to not embarrass myself completely, I've been practicing on the pad the last few days. It feels good to be back at it again. If you think you get a lot of steps on your left leg, add a double pedal. My phone reads that as a bike ride!
I bet it does..lol

Mangini is the GOAT. Every time I see a great drummer I go find Mangini and Jo Jo Mayer and they still reign supreme. Mangini can do literally anything. He lives in the matrix. Mayer can make something phenomenal out of nothing, and it always grooves.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I grew up with three of the original members of Mike's now former band. After they let him go, I ran into John Petrucci at the local pizza restaurant and had a brief chat. I told him in no uncertain terms that I felt they made a mistake. Mangini is awesome, and the original guy they took back is a cancer.

If you have a minute, watch this video of a gig he did with Cory Wong.

Jan 25, 2022
I grew up with three of the original members of Mike's now former band. After they let him go, I ran into John Petrucci at the local pizza restaurant and had a brief chat. I told him in no uncertain terms that I felt they made a mistake. Mangini is awesome, and the original guy they took back is a cancer.

If you have a minute, watch this video of a gig he did with Cory Wong.

That whole band was pretty slick. Crazy sax playing.

There's just no one out there like Mangini. I'm sure plenty of people have as much talent and drive, but I've never seen anyone as complete. And he's so complete that he doesn't even have a style. He can fit perfectly and anonymously into any genre at any level.

I thought that was a bad move on DT's part as well. I wish Portnoy had managed to get himself full-time with A7X anyway, but he kinda jacked that one up too. The album he did with them was masterful. It was the perfect 4/4 rock band for his style and he was similar enough to the rev that it didn't change their core sound. I would take a guess that he was a major influence on the rev when he was coming up.

I guess we can't really expect high level musicians to make great decisions though.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That whole band was pretty slick. Crazy sax playing.

There's just no one out there like Mangini. I'm sure plenty of people have as much talent and drive, but I've never seen anyone as complete. And he's so complete that he doesn't even have a style. He can fit perfectly and anonymously into any genre at any level.

I thought that was a bad move on DT's part as well. I wish Portnoy had managed to get himself full-time with A7X anyway, but he kinda jacked that one up too. The album he did with them was masterful. It was the perfect 4/4 rock band for his style and he was similar enough to the rev that it didn't change their core sound. I would take a guess that he was a major influence on the rev when he was coming up.

I guess we can't really expect high level musicians to make great decisions though.
This move was done for personal reasons between MP and JP. Their families are friends, their daughters lived together in NYC, and their wives played in a band together. I can assure you this decision was forced on JL and JM, with JR probably backing JP.

MP has left a trail of bands in his wake since he left DT in 2010. AX7, SOA, Winery Dogs, Adrenaline Mob to name a few. I give this reunion 2-4 years before MP starts complaining about "The Canadian" again, by which time, Mangini will be playing drums for Geddy and Alex and their residency...

Jan 25, 2022
This move was done for personal reasons between MP and JP. Their families are friends, their daughters lived together in NYC, and their wives played in a band together. I can assure you this decision was forced on JL and JM, with JR probably backing JP.

MP has left a trail of bands in his wake since he left DT in 2010. AX7, SOA, Winery Dogs, Adrenaline Mob to name a few. I give this reunion 2-4 years before MP starts complaining about "The Canadian" again, by which time, Mangini will be playing drums for Geddy and Alex and their residency...

I just realized everyone but the drummer's names start with J and both drummers have been Mikes. I didn't think about Mangini with Rush. It would be the perfect fit.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I just realized everyone but the drummer's names start with J and both drummers have been Mikes. I didn't think about Mangini with Rush. It would be the perfect fit.
And James' real first name is Kevin, but he changed it so as to not get confused with Kevin Moore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles