Gorilla Grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
Im trying to research the legality of using "Gorrilla Gold" in our association. Were likely going to be in the 40s and maybe 30s in our next tournament in Indiana. We've been experimenting with Gorrilla Gold in practice just to make sure we dont have grip issues with a cold ball. We play USFA, and basically they refer to "NFHS" for their rule book.

I've asked two umpires prior to a game in the last two tournaments if my daughter could use Gorrilla Gold as long as fully concealed in her back pocket. The NFHS rule is "an alternate drying substance could be used as long as concealed in the back pocket and under the umpires supervision. In both cases, I've received cold receptions. Both umpires never heard of Gorilla Gold and looked at me as if I was crazy, and the first one said if he found a sticky substance on the ball, that your DD would be rejected and game over. The second umpire said it would be also be illegal and asked what the penalty would be. He said the first time would be a legal pitch and the second time the coach would be rejected.

I can see the ambiguity and confusion in the rule that it is or isn't an alternate drying substance. I guess the question is "Is Gorilla Gold legal under "NFHS" (National Federation of High Schools)? And has anybody had clearance using it und NFHS?

Jul 26, 2010
You're not going to find a rule that explicitly allows it.

You will also not find a rule that explicitly allows the players to wear batting gloves.

We use it out here in California under NFHS rules and have never been called on it.

-W

Jan 2, 2012
dd played in usfa and used the gorilla gold and got called on it. said it was illegal pitch do not use again. never been called before but went to guy in charge and asked about it. said it was fine for asa and ncaa use it so we continued to use it. she only used it when wet or cold.

Mar 26, 2013
The NFHS rule was changed for 2011 specifically to allow other drying agent products like Gorilla Gold that do not leave a residue on the ball. FWIW, here is the official interpretation given to the umpires in California:

- Clarified that powdered resin or any comparable drying agent is permitted
- New products are being manufactured that “dry” the hands, but leaves no residue on the ball or glove
- Any material that DOES leave a residue on the ball is prohibited – i.e. rock resin
- The plate umpire needs to check the drying agent being used.

You might have better luck if you let the umpires try it and see how it works.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
take this as a lesson,my dd was a 12u player last year and was pitching in a game,with light rain.She has GG and went to the PU and asked first.He looked at it and said she could use it.It just to me made more sense to ask first,then rather have problems later.If he would of said no even if it is in the rules,we would of said that it was fine.next time ask first,The umps arent there not to punish the teams and players,sometimes just asking can save a lot of pain later.

While I understand your point, you shouldn't have to ask any official if you can do something provided for in the rule book.

I can see it now:
Pregame Coach's meeting. Coach 1 - "Blue, my starting pitcher is going to throw fastballs, change ups, curve balls, and drop balls. My base runners will steal bases at every opportunity. Is that o.k. with you?"

Said with a little tongue in cheek

Last edited:

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Bought my Gorilla Gold towel last night. It's supposed to be about 40-45 degrees tonight for our double header to open tourney. DD has never used it before, so I'm not sure if I will even have her use it tonight since she hasn't practiced with it. I emailed my USSSA tourney director to see if it is legal, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I will say; based on just touching the sticky towel, that it would help tremendously during cold and/or wet weather.

Jul 26, 2010
Make sure she practices with it. Girls don't generally like being handed something sticky/tacky and being told, "here wipe this on your hands". I know the first time I gave my kid the gorilla gold towel, I got that usual "eeeew, no way!" response.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pitch Machine Pros