Getting Ready for Tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
I thought I saw an article here somewhere about how to get ready for a Tryout.

I hunted, but didn't find it....I might be wrong ...
but ...

12U tryouts 3rd week August....wondering how to make the best use of our time.

Since her weakest skills are hittiing running, we certainly need to work on some mobility and conditioning.

Don't know if she is even ready (skills) but might as well see what happens.

Do they tryout as a pitcher, or is it all general skills?

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
tryout

Great!

Tryouts for 3 teams in August...don't have much time and our fault for not dealing with this earlier.

She had a concentrated All Star season followed immediately be a week at a Nike Camp... now she's had two weeks off ...

She needed the break!

Now we scramble and she has gotten a little lethargic!
Swims 2 times per week, rides her bike to school every day...but not much else!

In order of her skills best to last:
Pitching, throwing, fielding, hitting, running.

May 7, 2008

Most tryouts will have a special session for pitchers and catchers...usually an hour or so before the official tryout begins. During that time they will assess her pitching skills only. Then during the team tryout she can participate in all the activities/stations. If she can pitch, she'll make most teams. If she can rake, she'll make most teams. Her playing time outside of pitching will depend on the quality of the team AND her ability to hit. Coaches will find a place for a great hitter even if their fielding skills are suspect. So, IMHO, work on hitting!

Keith

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
tryout

It comes down to how good are the others that come to a tryout......

Yes, there is a separate date for each team for pitchers catchers.
She won't be the fastest there at a solid 50 ... but she is likely to be one of the most accurate.
Very capable of changing speed a bit and hitting corners.

Fielding skills are pretty good.....throwing fine.

Hitting running not so hot....if they use a pitching machine, she will look good!

She's not a star or a flamboyant/dynamic player...but she's one of those kids that quietly do their jobs, rarely make huge mistakes....very dependable.

We'll work on what we can and if she makes a team..great...if not we keep working for next year!

May 7, 2008
Based on your description of your DD's pitching ability, she'll make a pretty good team. The only decision you'll need to make is which team to choose. If her hitting is below average AND you want her to get playing time when she's not pitching...then be sure to look carefully at the talent on the various teams.

My DD had her choice of 3 teams BECAUSE of her pitching. Her hitting was decent. Her fielding and running speed were above average. So we choose a team where we knew the line up wasn't stacked with great hitters. As a result, my DD is the starting 2B when she's not pitching. Her hitting has improved dramatically due to the # of AB's.

Keith

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
travel tryout

Agree .. I will watch tryout to see strengths weaknesses and where she fits best.

I'm not sure that she will have three to pick from as I doubt she will make all three.

But I think I may choose the "big fish in little pond" path this year if we can get her on a travel team (they are strong here).
This would get her playing time and some different coaching.

She would still play rec/LL where she would easily be the #1 pitcher in the league. I'm coaching that team. My other daughter will also be on that team.
(great speed (mid 40's easily)), no accuracy)(turned 10 this month).

I have a clue...but different eyes can be a very good thing for my 12.

The more she plays this year...all over the field...the more she will gain ...
I'm huge at getting great in the outfield ...later it becomes a more important position.

She is accurate...50-ish...but she lacks push off when pitching. Decent change up (50-50) .. plays the corners well.
She is a smarter than brute force type of kid.

Had the leagues best travel player 0-2 in a game (swinging)....her (my DD) coach calls a change up (I'm thinking huge mistake)...she throws the perfect change up...this travel kid lines it into the outfield....

Thanks for the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K